Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I must be getting old (66) as it seams extra cold this year, It says 30 but the wind is 15mph and the cold is going right thrugh me. I have only rode on the fluid trainer the last 2 days, and that seams so boreing :( I sure hope we get some nicer weather so I can get out and ride
I rode 4330 miles this year total on 3 bikes, so I feel I put in a good effort this year, I don't count trainer miles.
How was your riding this year did you have a good year???

·
Registered
72 Posts
Wild,

I've only rode 1200 miles or so this year. I start riding agian last spring.

I'll be 61 next month. When I was growing up, my neighbors would have given you odds that I'd never see my 20th birthday. I was a lucky little _____.

It was about 10 degrees when I got up this morning, I hope to ride some today. The last 10 days have been a bummer, I've a molar that is going south on me. I'm taking meds for it, I can't tell it the pills are working, or if I'm getting used to the throbbing. My jaw doesn't like the cold.

I do feel better when I can get 10 or so miles in. I've lost some weight, my BP is down where it should be. I'm having to learn how to dress for the lower temperatures and higher winds.

BobH.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
I learned a valuable life-lesson today on the bike. Just because it was 27 degrees when I left for the ride at 5:30 am, that doesn't mean it's only going to get warmer from there. The temperature actually dropped about 8 to 10 degrees before the sun came up, meaning my toes, which were protected and fine for 27+ degree weather, were icicles when I got back.

With regards to the wind, Wild, I've been using a lot of WindStopper stuff this year. I found I can get away with a fairly light jersey and base layer, even in real cold weather, if I just keep the wind out. I have WindStopper jerseys, a WS jacket, WS armwarmers, and Pearl Izumi's equivalent in my toe and shoe covers. I've seen WS baselayers, but never tried one.

·
Pedaling Old Man
68 Posts
It's in the 20's here in Michigan so on the trainer I have been. I ordered a dvd from sufferfest but have not received it yet, hopefully that will ease the boredom factor some...

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
It's in the 20's here in Michigan so on the trainer I have been. I ordered a dvd from sufferfest but have not received it yet, hopefully that will ease the boredom factor some...
Which one did you order?

·
Eocyclist
742 Posts
BobH,
Hope you feel better soon.

I'm waiting for the temps to rise from the teens into the 20's before going out today.

I'm trying to decide where to ride. I love the surfing out in the great corn sea, but there's nothing to block the wind out there now but barbed wire.

The walking and horse trails in the forest preserves are a little dangerous now. There are some pretty serious ruts out there and it's hard to know what's under the snow. Sometimes it's like this.

I'm not crazy about the MUPS right now, but at least they're protected from the wind. Maybe I'll ride the Old Plank Road Trail for a while, then strike out across the fields ... when it gets a few degrees warmer

·
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
BobH I am in pain just hearing about your molar.
1200 miles is more than I did on my first year back riding so nice going :thumbsup:
10* when you got up and how high will it get

Xela The last time I road outside the sun was out for 3 miles then it did not come out again untill I was 1 mile from home on my 17 mile ride. I was coooooold and I have not thawed out yet I think.

gs43 I would be on the trainer at 20* allso. I have an old tv out with the bike and trainer but I can't rember where the remote is

LarryM this is hunting season no woods for me :rolleyes:

·
Registered
179 Posts
I haven't road since Sunday been in the 30s every morning that's to cold for this south Texan. Suppose to warm up this weekend can't wait.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Well in Ft Worth the weather has been great in the early afternoon. I spent most of the year nursing some sort of injury. From a knee problems caused by a bike fit issue, to a bone spur in the other. Hopefully I think most of them are behind us.

·
M. Westmacott
16 Posts
Well its been a bit parky here too, but I got some lovely cycling gloves and very warm scarf this week, so i get back out again, lets hope were not in for a icy time this year, bets wishes x

·
M. Westmacott
16 Posts
You should maybe try some omega 3 fish oils for those joints Mark, we all need to look after our bones, i've been on them for years now a swear blind by them, afraid I can't help much with the bone spur issue, only can say i have had good results from acupuncture when i cracked my ankle 5 years ago, it does seem to speed up the healing process some how. take care M x

·
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Larry, I would say if your watter bottle froze clear thru it was too coooooold :eek: to be out there rideing

·
Registered
352 Posts
i'd ride more in the winter if I could keep my fingers and toes warm. I do well enough for short rides, though. If your water bottle froze clear through, that means you took too much water with you! Do you have an insulated bottle?

·
A Red Headed Stepchild
164 Posts
i'd ride more in the winter if I could keep my fingers and toes warm. I do well enough for short rides, though. If your water bottle froze clear through, that means you took too much water with you! Do you have an insulated bottle?
Therma silk glove and shoe liners help quite a bit and they do now have battery operated gloves and socks.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
The roads around here have been totally unridable for the past 3 weeks with heavy snow falls, so it's been turbo training indoors in front of the tv for me.

·
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I got up yesterday and it was 20*so I said to cold for me. I played around on the puter here for a wile and started to feel bad, by noon I was sick as a dog with this head cold :eek:. Yea It never failes if I go to the DR. I will come home with a cold :hate: douring the cooooold season, and I went Thursday for my checkup. By noon it was 40* but all I wanted to do was lay down :(. what is it 7 days for a cold ???

·
1,355 Posts
The sun is out. Temp says 37 (not too bad). I am going to give it a try. Seems like just 4 months ago I was getting up early to beat the heat...

·
Eocyclist
742 Posts
I still don't have the right combo for hands and feet.

My gloves have poly liners, but they don't seem to be very effective after about 2 hours. Maybe they're too tight and cut off circulation after a while. I tried ski gloves but it's hard to apply the brakes with them on and it doesn't feel safe riding with them.

I use plastic bags over smartwool socks to keep dry on rainy days. They help keep feet warm on cold days down to about 30F. But the bags but don't seem to work for me at temps much below 30. Some wind and water proof gaithers might help.

About the only thing that seems to really work for me is to get inside for a half hour warmup after a couple hours riding. I plan my winter rides to pass by some little country restaurant every 10 or 15 miles.

1 - 20 of 139 Posts