Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have advice for a good cycling specific core workout? Or is it just like every other sport where you just do a bunch of crunches and planks? About every sport I've ever been a part of I've always been slacking on my core strength so I'm hoping to be able to get that figured out before the weather warms up and I ride all the time. I'm not nessicarily looking for that "6 pack" (well I am, but that's done mostly with diet) just a way to strengthen up before the season starts.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
check out http://cyclo-core.com/ Graeme is a crazy nut (in a good way). He's very active on Facebook and definitely practices what he preaches. Working on your core will most definitely improve your riding and health in general. Surprisingly 6-paks aren't a big focus for cycling specific core.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Surprisingly 6-paks aren't a big focus for cycling specific core.
LOL, wasn't necessarily looking for the nice abs for cycling reasons, I'm just vain like that ha-ha!

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
The best thing to do is to focus on the hips. Since you are producing power the entire time riding with one leg, single leg work is the way to go for cycling.

Rear foot elevated squats/Bulgarian split squats are really good as are Turkish Get Ups. Single leg bridging is also great as is loading a two legged bridge with an olympic plate or bar.

Most cyclists make the mistake of doing work in the front of their bodies when they spend all of their time in that tightened position. If you have a desk job, even longer. The key is to work over head as well as the back side of the body (your posterior chain) to open up the front half and keep your muscles balanced.

My training studio is endurance athlete centered and this is what we do for our riders. The most counter productive things you can do are:
Crunches
Leg Press
Knee Extensions
Hamstring Curls
Excessive amounts of planks

You can also look here for more ideas. http://integratefitness411.blogspot.com/2012/02/feng-shui-your-glutes-part-iii-best.html

Hope that helps!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts