Could a chain be worn on a brand new bike?

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by Mike1jw, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Mike1jw

Mike1jw Member

I hope someone can help me with this one! I just bought a chain wear gauge to keep track of my chain on my new bike. I followed the instuctions, and the gauge goes all the way to the Max wear point. Could this be possible? I have about 120 mi on the bike so far. Needless to say, I'll be calling the bike shop tomorrow. Any opinions would be helpful before I do. Please check out the pics.

Attached Files:

2. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

What bike and what chain is this from?

3. Mike1jw

Mike1jw Member

The bike is a 2009 Giant Defy Advanced, the chain is shimano. I just bought the bike new about 3 weeks ago, and put only 120 mi. on it so far.

Attached Files:

4. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

Very unlikely that your chain is worn out. More likely that your chain checker is wrong. One easy way to check your chain without a special tool is to measure a 12" section of chain with a ruler. The pins are 1/2" on center. If the last pin is 1/8" or more beyond the 12" mark, the chain is no good.

5. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

Great Tip!!!!!

6. Mike1jw

Mike1jw Member

Thanks for the tip!

Question. Is it best to change the chain before it reaches the 1/8" over, or is 1/8" over the change point?

From what I'm learning, if you replace the chain before it's worn too much, you wont have to change the cassette and chain rings as much. Is that true?

7. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

I tend to let my chain get excessively worn out before changing it which is not good. I ride mostly singlespeeds which accelerate chain wear, so sometimes it gets worn out before I realize it. Since I use a stainless steel chainring and a very heavy duty freewheel, I can go through several chains before needing to replace either.

For shifty bikes with a cassette and a full compliment of chainrings, it's best to replace the cassette with the chain and at least inspect and replace chainrings as needed. In most cases, the middle ring will show the most wear since it is used the most. Here on the East coast, the big ring can take a lot of abuse too, but more so from rocks than normal wear and tear. The granny isn't ramped, so the gear teeth are thicker making it last longer.

It's best to replace your chain when it gets close to 1/8" over, especially on a geared bike.

8. RoyEveritt

RoyEveritt Brit

It's probably a good idea to change the chain early and save wear on the cassette and money in the longer term. If the new chain jumps then your cassette needs changing as well, but you won't need to do that so often if you've changed the chain frequently.

And the middle chainring is most likely to be worn, as hophead says. Again, if the new chain sits ok, you've got some more miles left in the chainring, too. At least you can change one ring at a time.