Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
one eyed member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want some opinions on commuting here,Im fairly new to commuting,but an experienced cyclist.I see a LOT of the posts here mention bike lanes,MUP,or in general city commuting.Where I live there is no bike lanes,or MUP.I cycle about 8miles to work,and the first 5 of those are on a 45mph road (most drive 55),w/lots of hills and w/the chance of seeing a cyclist or commuter is very slim;ie Drivers arent looking for them or me.I get the drivers not getting over AT ALL and squeezing between me and the other lane and the ******* fat driver yelling at me to "get over"(Im assuming they want me to ride in the grass?),but do you find that riding in this type of environment,w/almost no other commuters,on 45mph roads,w/no real way to keep up with traffic,a bit too dangerous?I love riding to work,and the last half of my commute is great once I get into town and get a little "commuter respect" but me living in the country has got me thinking twice about the whole risk vs reward of commuting....Discuss?

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,576 Posts
The hills make it tough. Your only real recourse is staying as far to the right as you can or find a safer route. If you don't have hills claim your lane and get out some so they can see you better and so there is no doubt they have to use the oncoming lane to pass you and they can't squeeze you out. Of course don't be a militant bike d--k either though.

And if fatass cagers yell at you just smile as big as you can and wave. But if they slow down right beside you to yell go ahead and give them a squirt off your water bottle. LOL!

·
one eyed member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The hills make it tough. Your only real recourse is staying as far to the right as you can or find a safer route. If you don't have hills claim your lane and get out some so they can see you better and so there is no doubt they have to use the oncoming lane to pass you and they can't squeeze you out. Of course don't be a militant bike d--k either though.

And if fatass cagers yell at you just smile as big as you can and wave. But if they slow down right beside you to yell go ahead and give them a squirt off your water bottle. LOL!
HAHA! Yes I take the lane for sure,but it seems (old people mostly) just will not wait,they squeeze between me and the other cars w/out slowing at all,ZOOOM!!!!!! Straight beside me...And the people that yell more make me angry in the fact that they are ignorant to how you are supposed to ride,they actually think I should not be on the road.I dont want to shoot them the bird,I more just want to calmly tell them they are wrong,how much of a moron they are and educate them on the laws that I HAVE JUST AS MUCH RIGHTS AS THEY DO.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,576 Posts
Yeah, that works too I guess. LOL!

·
tall old member
1,333 Posts
With all that traffic it doesn't sound too country to me. I commute country roads and some times I never see another vehicle the whole way home. Country commuting has it's own hazards even if you don't have other vehicles to worry about. In my nine mile commute I have been chased by a bear at 3:30 in the afternoon, had to dodge groundhogs, racoons, snakes, opossum, and deer. I have a recent deer story but I'll start a new thread for that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts