Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new at road biking and I'm very proud of myself. Bought my bike 3 weeks ago and have put 150 miles on my bike so far. I am 6'0 240lbs so I am trying to lose some weight and change my diet and lifestyle. I need some help from the pros. Do you guys wear underwear under your bike shorts? Also my feet get really numb after about 15 miles any help with that? And what kind of stretches do you do before you ride?

·
Registered
748 Posts
1-Comando. Too much clothing will chafe.
2- Change the tightness of your shoes and make sure the cleats are set right. Pull up a few srtokes, that will help.
3- I'm not a streachy guy.(but that's me)

·
Two skinny J's
21,452 Posts
First welcome jeffryp! Sounds like you are on the right track. Not to be ugly but a quick search here will result in some good answers to your questions. Numb and tingling hands and feet have been somewhat of a hot topic over the last few weeks here and to save some redundancy, Ill get you started in the right direction.

And no, no tightie whites/boxers, etc :D under your "road" cycling shorts or bibs.

Remember to be as specific about issues you are dealing with, for examplpe, are you riding with clipless shoes and pedals or platforms ?

http://www.twospoke.com/forum/f40/numbness-my-feet-8887/
Here is a quick link from the search results here to help get ya started. Not trying to scare ya off, just point ya in the right direction. You will find many here ready to offer advice

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry I didn't do my homework. That is great info! I don't have my cleats on the balls of my feet so I am going to tweak that and give you a report. I was going commando just making sure I wasn't the only one lol. Thanks guys on the quick response!

·
889 Posts
Just remember, going commando is for proper cycling shorts/bids.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Welcome!

1. As others have stated you will want to wear nothing under your bike shorts. This prevents chafing as well as allows the wicking fabric to do its job better.
2. Let us know how the cleat adjustment goes.
3. I dont streatch before a ride, I start off slow and then spin in an easy gear, then move up to my crusing speed. After a ride later in the day/night I will streatch my hips out, my thighs, and my calves.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Welcome!

+1 what all the others said.

On stretching all I do take it easy on the first and last mile. However, you should really consider adding a separate regiment of 'Core' exercises (sorry Integrate) to the mix. And speaking of 'Integrate', check out the Health/Training section of the forum for his posts. He is a personal trainer and as such has some pretty good advice regarding cycling fitness.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Welcome, jeffryp! You can already see that for most any problem you encounter you will have lots of good support from the folks here!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My Heroes!! No numbness in my feet on my 20 mile ride this morning! I also adjusted my seat back 2 notches and I have 0 numbness in my hands now. Thanks Y'all.

·
1,393 Posts
Wasn't going to our myself on the forum as a doc - but to important not to - almost all studies concerning stretching (static) before exercises actually causes more injuries - even with olympic athletes ! and decreases POWER performance for up to 45 minutes - so if you watch the Olympics and see them doing that realize they would be that much faster if their trainers were not ignorant

·
Grenouille
161 Posts
I'll set out a minority opinion on the 1st question. Commando is disgusting. Get some UnderArmor type synthetic underwear. They're cheaper than bike shorts, make your bike shorts last.

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
Wasn't going to our myself on the forum as a doc - but to important not to - almost all studies concerning stretching (static) before exercises actually causes more injuries - even with olympic athletes ! and decreases POWER performance for up to 45 minutes - so if you watch the Olympics and see them doing that realize they would be that much faster if their trainers were not ignorant
I think you'll appreciate this article.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright guys I need an attaboy. Just did my first 50 miles today. My butt is so sore and about mile 35 my feet went numb and hurt like heck! I thought I had the problem fixed but I guess not. I will do some more tweaking and let y'all know what happens.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
jeffryp said:
Alright guys I need an attaboy. Just did my first 50 miles today. My butt is so sore and about mile 35 my feet went numb and hurt like heck! I thought I had the problem fixed but I guess not. I will do some more tweaking and let y'all know what happens.
Attaboy! I fought sore fret this wknd too. Moved the cleat up to no avail. Going to LBS this week to check my shoes out.

Good luck on tweaks. Where did the pain start, in front or behind the cleat? Side of food?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts