"Cover" music?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by HandsomeRyan, Jan 13, 2010.

Tags:
  1. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

I love a good cover song. There is just something about hearing a song you already know and like (or in some cases dislike) being reinterpreted by another band. Sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse.

Probably the best example of a cover blowing away the original would be "Hurt" originally by Nine Inch Nails. When Trent Reznor performed the song originally it was a deep emotional song but it never really stood out from the rest of his works. The song was then 'covered' by music legend Johnny Cash just before he died. Arguably the Johnny Cash version is much more moving than the original. Both versions are available on youtube if you want to see what I mean.

NIN Version of 'Hurt'
    vs.
    Johnny Cash Version of 'Hurt'

I know some of the folks here are probably not huge fans of teeny-pop music but I have to say that this 'punk cover' of Miley Cyrus's 'Party in the USA' is quite listen-to-able.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsU_uzJBDrw]YouTube - Party In The USA (Rock Version) by Life On Repeat[/ame]

Who here likes 'cover music' and what are a few of your favorites?

Some other notible cover artists to check out-
    Me First and the Gimme Gimme's - punk/rock covers of oldies hits.
    Richard Cheese - "lounge" covers of modern rock and hip-hop.

2. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

Miley Cyrus?

You have to be kidding.

3. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

I'm a big fan of covers/interpretations of old blues songs by Zeppelin, The Stones, Hendrix, SRV, etc.

4. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Oh, Johnny covering Rusty Cage is pretty good. Actually, anything he covered seems to play pretty well. I also like Everlast's cover of Folsom Prison Blues. Motorhead covering Metallica was a good fit, as was Metallica's Garage Days CDs, where they covered Mercyful Fate, the Sex Pistols, and Bob Seger.

5. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

I'm almost completely disconnected from music. I don't own an Ipod or even one disc. Never tune music on the radio, ever. It has no effect on me. Yet, I like visual art (painting, sculpture) good literature and dramatic movies like "The Great Escape" and "Legends Of The Fall."

Music is just noise to me. And Miley Cyrus is the bottom of a very bad barrel.

6. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

That was a horrible song Ryan.Interesting drumming though.

I love the Cash cover of hurt but it conveyed a different meaning form the original. Having led a hard life and being at the end versus heroin sucks and ruins your life.

Ian how do you not like music?
    What are your feelings on breathing?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  7. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

I'm all for breathing. What I should say about music is I hate anything written in the last 100 years or so. I do like a Strauss waltz or much of what is considered long-haired music. But not the modern crap. The Beatles suck and so do the Stones. Have never liked any modern music sound at all. I understand this makes me different.

The music I do like is the stuff you run into by accident and then only for a fleeting moment like in that scene from The Shawshank Redemption when Andy locks himself in the warden's office and puts on an Italian opera piece with ladies sounding like angels in a language nobody understood. For a moment time stood still. That was moving. That tiny piece of obscure Italian opera. That I liked. But even so, would not seek it out and purchase it. Good bits of music like that I like to stumble upon like a new romance. Then it's fresh and fun and nice. To go buy an CD of modern machinations is to go buy a hooker on Elliot Street and call it romance. It's all too much clanging and without softness of soul. It's offensive to me.

That make any sense?

8. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

You have an issue creating the emotion to attach it to the music so you find it easier to live vicariously through fictional characters. It's cool, I had a ruff childhood too.

The rest of it is just hater speech. Coming from one hater to another, we are missing out on a lot. I recently discovered a whole world of music that wasn't grunge (it's what I grew up listening too, I'm in my late twenties) and it blew my mind.

9. Industry_Hack

There is much worse out there. But to hear my girl and her daughter sing along is pretty sweet. Luckily, the little one hasn't fallen for the marketing trap.

10. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

fun, I don't miss what I don't ever listen too. That's like saying I miss square-dancing for never having square danced. As to navel-gazing and trying to figure out reasons for ones inner motivations? Too much crap for me. I don't waste time ruminating on pseudo-sciences like psychology.

11. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

Indy, THEY ARE THE RESULT of the trap.

12. Industry_Hack

No, we have no HM-branded anything in our house.

13. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

You could have that place that can only be filled by square dancing. You never know. I thought I would hate... well everything, but I'm starting to realize I don't. I too believe Psychology is false prophet. I was sitting in an ER one day after cutting off a good chunk of finger and the Headline for Psychology Today was "What you can learn by kissing". That's not science that's Tiger Beat.

Hack, how old were your kiddos when they started getting into that crap. I dread the day my daughter comes home listening to boy bands.

14. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

All I meant is the music is in the kids' heads. They will carry that with them into the age of spending when they have a few dollars and no parent holding their hand. They are programed as we speak. This does not make them stupid or victims, really. It's the modern way of marketing, the way of the world.

We in the bike world like to thing we're above advertising. Too strong willed. We make up our own minds. Not true. Once a product's image is in the distant corners of the brain it makes it easier for the purchaser (you) to buy that product down the line for it does not seems odd or unusual then. It feels comfortable and familiar. This is assuming the product is not pure junk to begin with.

Given a choice between a Shimano chain and a ZXTY chain from Pluto, we mostly go with the Shimano out of comfort and familiarity. That's what advertising does. It's not to make you run out and buy something in the instant, it's to make you familiar and comfortable on a subliminal level in the future. This works on everyone. If it didn't you would not see ads on this forum. Those ad boys know their stuff or they would not exist.

15. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

The next time I get an urge to square dance I'm borrowing one of Hack's shotguns and removing my own head.

16. Industry_Hack

It varies, so you never know when it will hit. I recall buying one of the girls a bunch of Bratz Dolls for Christmas, and the next thing I know, she discovered boys. It's so sweet when your daughter asks if she can come watch your BMX practice. Until you realize she's there for the "hawt guys".

17. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

Liar!

True story: This is an actual picture of Brian's bedroom...

[​IMG]

18. Industry_Hack

Close. Ryan, this photo was taken after I put down my new flooring:

[​IMG]

[edit] Tricia says the Hannah Montana room is hot.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  19. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Arghhh. This is the one part of being the father of a daughter that gets me.

20. Industry_Hack

Mine are married. My fiance's daughter is almost eleven. Seven more years...