Two Spoke Forums banner

Can you find a decent ride on Craigslist?

• Yes.

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Yes, but you need to be careful.

Votes: 24 64.9%
  • Absolutely not.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I suggest your LBS.

Votes: 3 8.1%
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yep! and sold it on there as well. Just you caution as to how and where you purchase. ie, location, lighting, etc

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I picked up a Cannondale Quick 6 for $200 that was 2 months old and hardly riden. The bike is on loan to someone that took it to a ride in Ohio where thay ride 50 miles a day for a week, and thay said it proformed flawlessly. I have put 1200 miles on the bike and I call it my Timex it just keeps on ticking. So I would say there are good buys out there on craigslist.
¢¢

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I've picked up some great deals on bikes for both of my kids on Craigslist. You need to know how to look a bike over before buying. You also need to be ready to act fast when you spot a good deal.

I've also had some luck selling bikes on Craigslist. I don't like the idea of having strangers come to the house, so I usually meet in public parking lot where there is room for a test ride.

I just upgraded my road bike through a great deal on eBay. You have to trust the seller's feedback, but eBay does provide protection against misrepresentations. I'm happy with my new bike, and in some ways I like buying from eBay better than Craigslist.

·
Back in the Saddle
106 Posts
yes. as a buyer, knowledge is key. I do better buying than selling. Too many calls when I'm selling trying to drive price down before ever coming to look at the bike. Nothing worse than the text message exchange that starts with price.

·
1,355 Posts
Last fall I bought an old Fuji on Craigslist. It needed some new wheels and some cleaning up. After I got it home I started searching the web for any info that I could find on an S-10-S. One of the hits brought me to this forum. The guy who owned the bike that I bought had posted it here to ask how much it was worth. I liked the feel of the place and so I joined. He's all gone but I am still here.:D Finally put some new wheels on the bike today and took a ride. What a blast, I didn't want to stop. Buying a bike from Craigslist :thumbsup:

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Just got a 2007 Specialized Hardrock Pro Disc for my gf's daughter on Craig's list for $260.00. It's maybe been ridden half a dozen times.

There are some good deals out there once you sift through all the crap.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've picked up some great deals on bikes for both of my kids on Craigslist. You need to know how to look a bike over before buying. You also need to be ready to act fast when you spot a good deal.

I've also had some luck selling bikes on Craigslist. I don't like the idea of having strangers come to the house, so I usually meet in public parking lot where there is room for a test ride.

I just upgraded my road bike through a great deal on eBay. You have to trust the seller's feedback, but eBay does provide protection against misrepresentations. I'm happy with my new bike, and in some ways I like buying from eBay better than Craigslist.
I didn't think to check eBay. The last time I was on eBay I got scammed. It left a rather sour taste in my mouth for the site all together.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just got a 2007 Specialized Hardrock Pro Disc for my gf's daughter on Craig's list for $260.00. It's maybe been ridden half a dozen times.

There are some good deals out there once you sift through all the crap.
This is where I have trouble. I get sick of looking at over priced junk that I get discouraged and log off.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I didn't think to check eBay. The last time I was on eBay I got scammed. It left a rather sour taste in my mouth for the site all together.
I'm a cheapskate, and have found great deals on everything through the years from eBay. The nice thing is that the auction format seems to help correct (but not eliminate) the number of people who think their bike is worth a gold mine, though there are still some crazy prices on some Buy It Now items.

I'd only buy from people with very good feedback (over 97% positive) and prefer over 100 transaction ratings. For the most part, people like that care about their feedback score and act accordingly. Also eBay and/or Paypal will offer coverage if the item is not as represented. I recommend asking the Seller any questions that you have before bidding.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Update: I had found good deals on bikes for my kids on Craigslist before, but today finally got a good deal on a bike for me: a 2010 Trek Soho S, which is in very good condition.

I've liked the Soho S for a while, and when this came on Craigslist about a month ago I emailed an offer which was rejected with seller saying his price was firm. Last night I saw it was still up and that the price was reduced yesterday, so I made the same offer as a month ago and we made a deal. It's in great condition and rides great - very happy with my purchase!

·
Rollin Solo like Han...
517 Posts
Not to say good deals are not there, it would just be real, real easy for some one that didnt know bikes to get ripped off.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Not to say good deals are not there, it would just be real, real easy for some one that didnt know bikes to get ripped off.
I agree. On my blog I tend to suggest that most beginners would be best to buy from a LBS, if possible.

That said, with a recent model that you believe has not been ridden much, there is a bit less to fear (though you still need to look it over). And the simpler it is, the less likely you'll get stuck with big dollar repairs - especially with something simple like a single-speed.

·
4 Posts
I bought both of my recent bikes off of craigslist and they were/are both pretty good bikes. The first ones gears skipped but I got it for mad cheap and the second one seems pretty great right now although I just got it on Thursday and rode it to work then and friday before running over a thumb tack (fail) but all seems well.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts