Craigslist Bikes

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by Shocks_Pegs_LUCKY, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Yes.

10 vote(s)
    27.0%
  2. Yes, but you need to be careful.

24 vote(s)
    64.9%
  3. Absolutely not.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I suggest your LBS.

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  1. froze

froze Banned

Actually yes, but it takes a lot of patience and luck. Patience because most bikes listed are junk, luck because if a good one comes up there are people who watch Craigslist constantly and as soon as a good one comes up they snatch it to resell on E-Bay, and then more luck is needed to get your size.

But over the last 7 years I've found a 86 Nishiki Olympic, ridden a fair amount in average condition; 85 Schwinn Le Tour Luxe in brand new condition ridden about 250 miles; an 84 Fuji Club ridden about 5 miles but in excellent condition, not new because it suffered from minor scratches being stored. They were in my size too. So it took 7 years of searching and luck to find those, I don't scour the pages every 5 minutes, maybe once or sometimes twice a day. I don't buy to resell either, so if it's a nice bike and if it's too big or too small I just pass, I don't have the time to hassle with reselling.

I have never found anything in a Goodwill type of store or garage sales though, all junk bikes. But I live in area (Fort Wayne, In.) where cycling is not a big deal so finding good used bikes is difficult. I did find a great bike at a garage sale once in Santa Barbara Calif about 15 years ago, a 88 Miyata 712 in nearly mint condition and I wasn't even looking for used bikes back then, just saw it driving by and stopped. I bought a 87 Team new so knew the quality of Miyata's were very good then I saw it was a 712 and it fit so I grabbed it for $80.

I wouldn't recommend an LBS because they will over charge for vintage bike, unless it's a bike you've been searching for and are tired of searching, and just have to own it, and don't mind laying out the cash to get it now.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  2. mom_of_3_ts

mom_of_3_ts Senior Member

i got both my moutain and my road bike from craigs list and love them both

3. Moto700

Moto700 New Member

I've sold a bike a Craigslist. It was a good bike but was going to need some work sometime in the future. Made sure the buyer knew about it before money changed hands. The only way I would buy a bike off CL or any other site is if I could ride it first. I wouldn't buy a bike from a LBS without riding it first. LBS, CL, eBay, etc, I don't ride, I don't buy.

4. biker_on_a_budget

biker_on_a_budget New Member

I haven't purchased any bikes on CL, but I use it all the time to buy and sell other things. I love it. You really do have to be cautious. I had awesome luck until I tried selling my truck, but bikes should be easy to find!

5. Shocks_Pegs_LUCKY

Shocks_Pegs_LUCKY New Member

Luck and patience, indeed. Every time I find one I like, it's gone. Gah!

6. dirquist

dirquist New Member

Ive had good luck buying and selling on craigslist. Have heard horror stories of course but been lucky myself.

7. froze

froze Banned

There shouldn't be any horror stories buying off of CL, you have to know your bikes, you have to know what your looking at; if anything it's safer to buy off of CL then E-Bay because you get to see the bike and ride it before you buy it. I been lucky with the bikes I got off of CL but not because I was lucky it didn't turn into a horror, but lucky in that I found a bike worth while to consider purchasing, lucky that they fit me, and lucky that I got them before someone else did.

8. dirquist

dirquist New Member

It a horror story when you get jumped in broad daylight and robbed. Unfortunately there is no completely safe place as amazingly people tend to freeze and do nothing even when they see it happening. Possibly just shocked and not sure what they are seeing. It happens, not too often, but it does.

Last time my buddy went to spend a good sum on a camera lens I went with him but didnt announce myself. I was just in my car watching and they didnt know I was even there. But I was ready to call 911 and follow the culprit if something bad happened. Now we only did this since it was convenient at the time as I was on my way home from work and going to his place anyhow so Im not sure I would regularly worry about doing that. But still, you cant be too safe when spending lots of money.

9. Digital_Cowboy

Digital_Cowboy New Member

What happens when someone buys a bike off of either CL or eBay and said bike turns out to be stolen and that the police are actually actively looking for said bike and the purchaser gets caught with it?

That would be my concern with purchasing from CL or eBay that the item is stolen and getting arrested and charged with receiving stolen property.

10. froze

froze Banned

Your screwed, that's what happens. As a buyer your not going to get arrested you just simply lose what you bought and the money exchanged in that transaction. The only way you would get arrested is if you knew the bike was stolen and was trying to get a deal, usually in exchange for drugs. But in the case your presuming, the cops have the evidence the bike was on CL and you responded to the ad thinking it was legit. It's unreasonable to ask for a receipt for a bike proving he bought it, I have my receipts, but most don't keep that stuff. And some sellers may have purchased it used from another person now he's selling it. Cops understand this stuff.

You can tell if something is iffy, like the seller wants you to meet him in a parking lot, or if there are a bunch of rift raft hanging out in the neighborhood, the bike doesn't fit the owner and is claiming it's his and rode it awhile. The bikes I bought were from middle class people, the bikes fit the person who was selling it, generally older people except one but he had a stable of bikes and was thinning the herd a little. You can tell it the bike is of questionable ownership. Just use some common sense.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  11. SixtyPlus

SixtyPlus New Member

Froze, I agree with everything you have said except for one thing. If I were selling a bike, or anything for that matter, on CL or eBay, I might prefer to meet the potential buyer somewhere other than my home. You never know if the buyer is really a scout for the "bad guys" and is checking out what else you might have that would be good to get. If either the buyer or the seller is of a criminal mind, you're screwed either way!

12. froze

froze Banned

I agree with you on that point, but problem is you don't, as a buyer, know where the person lives if the bike turns out to be stolen, so your in trouble as the buyer without any way to get the seller arrested. I suppose you could get the license plate of the car but if the car is stolen or something weird going on, you may not find the seller. Even if the person doesn't live at the house you go to the police will find out who the person was from the owner of the house.

But I like I said earlier, if your paying attention you can tell if there's something wrong. The guy will appear nervous, appears to be on something, your in a bad neighborhood, he says he rode it but you know it doesn't fit him, doesn't know a lot about the bike, selling it for a friend, the bike is 20 years old and the person would have been 2 years old when he bought it! Certain things would raise a red flag. I also ask where they bought it, and if they say one of the shops in town and I know that shop never sold that bike then I would decline it, or there is a dealer sticker on the bike and they say some other shop or don't remember then I would leave, I never had that happen though. I ask for receipts, spare parts and brochures they may have gotten at the time of purchase, but the bikes I look for are over 20 years old and most people never keep that stuff so that doesn't necessarily raise a red flag.

Also if anyone in the town you live had a bike stolen they can post the info on CL, but a seller would be real stupid to sell a stolen bike in the same CL that a stolen bike was listed!!!

In the real world though, most police departments are not going to pull a bicycle rider over and check the bike to see if it were stolen, maybe if it were a very rare bike, but 99% of the cops wouldn't know a rare bike from your garden variety bike, and I've never had a cop in 40 plus years of riding eyeball me or my bikes or see them do that to other riders, unless it's a very fit girl! So in reality you could get away with buying a stolen bike and no one would ever find out. Cops don't yank bikes out from under riders, they get stolen bikes from going to a persons home suspected of having stolen property or drugs and find the bikes. I've never seen cops even eyeball garage sales for stolen property, and you know that some garage sales sell stolen stuff.

If I suspect any monkey business going on I won't buy it, plain and simple, just use common sense.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  13. jin3160

jin3160 New Member

I bought my bike from a guy on CL. Advertised as new FUJI Odessa 1.0 and I'm pretty sure it hadn't been ridden. There was a scratch in the paint from transport but the brakes and shifting hadn't been tuned yet.

And I don't have a problem with people meeting me at home, they knew someone lived there, now they just know who. The only time I won't have a buyer meet me at home is when I know they're not getting their money's worth and I'm taking financial advantage of their lack of knowledge of whatever I'm selling. :)

14. robkyle

robkyle Member

I sold a toolbox that goes in the back of a pickup on CL. Couldn't arrange a good time to meet, so I just told him where I lived and if he wanted the toolbox to leave the $$ in the back door. This was kind of my test of humanity! He took the toolbox and left the $160. I think sometimes if you treat people with respect, they'll step up.

15. Engyo

Engyo Bent Newbie - old rider

I bought my Rans V3 off Craigslist. I'm happy.

16. momule

momule New Member

I bought an older Murray Contour three speed with S/A hub that was in mint condition. All I needed to do is dust it off, adjust the shift and brake, and put on new tires.

Now, of course that bike isn't a collectors item nor will it likely ever be but I really like it's swoopy lines, and even though it's a "girls bike" I still take it out on the KATY trail.

The best news of all: I paid $15.00 for it and am now friends with the old retired guy who has a garage full of old bikes that he fixes up and gives away to local organizations.

17. trx1

trx1 New Member

just traded my tryke project for a ROSS eurosport. im great condiditon, just pumped up tires, cleandup the rust and added a set of fender.... rides like a dream! hes a keeper!!

18. Saugus18

Saugus18 Specialized Crosstrail

Picked up this bike for my girlfriend who is a total beginner. Like new, aluminum frame, 150 bucks, on Craigslist, same Shimano components as my Specialized Crosstrail pretty much, but I like my Surefire shifters better than the twist grip ones on this. Rides perfect, everything works, she really likes it

[​IMG]

19. Saugus18

Saugus18 Specialized Crosstrail

That sounds like a really good deal

20. pverity

pverity New Member

There are some good deals on CL, but you do have to be careful. I once purchased a 70's era Raleigh Super Course, totally in pieces, (frame, fork,wheels, parts ) for %50 from someone. He was not home and I left the money for him in an envelope in his mailbox. I called him to let him know that I was at his house-that was a lot of trust on his part. I have picked up some good deals on CL and also sold stuff on CL.