Crank Set question

Discussion in 'Mountain Biking' started by TxJeeper, Jun 29, 2009.

1. TxJeeper

TxJeeper Guest

I have a Trek 3700 that has screwed threads for the pedal. I tried using a tap and die set on it and they still wouldn't thread into the arm. So I am thinking about getting a new crank set and need to know what to look for and what gearing is going to be the best. I ride alot of trails but nothing Uber aggressive. So I am wanting to hear peoples suggestions what is on there now is 48-38-28 (I think I counted them correctly).

2. zahgurim

zahgurim zero the hero

The touring M761 XTs would be good, and not too expensive now.
    Comes with a 26-36-48.

Also in the newer model M771, but would cost more.

3. tajcrews

tajcrews New Member

Just making sure you know but the non drive side pedal has reverse threads. Is that the one you are having problems with or are they actual pedal threads messed up? Lots of good options to replace it with though. check your local LBS as sometimes they have new ones that were removed from bikes or some good deals.

4. TxJeeper

TxJeeper Guest

actually I did not know that I guess it makes sense. Now I feel retarded I will try it again when I get home tonight

5. tajcrews

tajcrews New Member

Lots of people dont know it or forget about it so dont feel bad. Hopefully that is all it is and you can save some money. Let us know how it turns out. Cheers

6. TxJeeper

TxJeeper Guest

well I ended up replacing thee crankset and pedals but that is ok since I wanted to upgrade them anyway I lucked out and got a $200 Shimano cankset for $40 and had the local shop install for me for $25 so it all worked out good but it is definately something that I need to know for the future.