Crank Size

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by KFaulkner, Jul 27, 2009.

1. KFaulkner

KFaulkner Guest

How can you determine the crank size on your bike?

2. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

According to Peter White your crank length should be 18.5% of the length of your leg measuring from the top of your femur to the floor.

3. Sean

Sean New Member

It is usually stamped on the inside of one of the crank arms.

4. tajcrews

tajcrews New Member

Look on the inside of the crank arms. It should be stamped such as 170, 175, etc.

5. Sean

Sean New Member

^^ No, that will not work at all...

6. tajcrews

tajcrews New Member

Whoops didnt even read your response before i posted. Hopefully that will actually work :D

7. bantam700

bantam700 New Member

Have you looked on the inside of your crank arm? It's usually stamped on there :D

8. hophead

Apparently, I may have misread the op's post. Anyway, if the length is not stamped into the crankarm, simply grab a ruler and measure it. Crankarm length is measured in millimeters from the center of the pedal shaft to the center of the bb spindle. If your ruler doesn't have metric graduations, the conversion factor for inches to mm's is 25.4.
    [​IMG]

9. vassago

vassago pedal pusher

the OP did not say he wanted to know where it is located, but how to determine what it should be?

10. hophead

That's what I thought at first, but after reading the post a second time, I'm not sure because of the wording. Either way, I think all the bases have been covered.

11. Chainset

Chainset Guest

@hophead

Thanks a lot for the picture, I've just found this thread through search and I found the answer thanks to you.

12. hophead

Glad it helped!

-Scott