Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Is this for the same bike you are putting a carbon fork on a bike designed for a full suspension front fork? If so I wouldn't bother just yet. There is better than a small chance that carbon fork will fail. If it does the rest of the bike is likely to be trashed and a new bike HOPEFULLY will be needed.

When customizing a bike, its almost always better to one change and ride it a while. Make 6 changes at one time and you don't have a clue which one or one's that are causing the problem. Make a change. Test. Evaluate results, reassess the approach and then repeat if necessary. Make 6 changes you need to go through that process 6 times. Then if something makes things worse, you know what to change.

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
Mark, the question was, is it possible to put a $319 10 speed double crank on a bike that came with 9 speed trigger shifters and a triple, and has an MSRP of $799?

Trolling

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I know Hack. To your point I have spent way more than I should on bikes of relatively low value. I'm doing it now with the sunray in all honesty. I probably have 200+ in accessories on a $300 bike. Does it make sense? Not really but I can afford it and its only money. Yes you can change the shifters, and I don't remember about the derailers but they almost certainly would have to be changed out as well. Does it make any sense? Does it make any sense that I am thinking of putting a $100 headlight on a $300 bike? Maybe not but I am going to do it anyway.

Now we both know sooner or later there is a new bike in the OP future. I just wanted to take one more chance to try to convince that we are not hyping the risk of the fork. Might only break one fork and if its the left it really could be very bad news.

BTW Have you heard who is running Sheldon's website and if they are going to keep it up long term?? Its just too great a resource to use

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
I'm sure Harris Cyclery will keep Sheldon's site up. There's a similar site that's also a great resource - I forgot the name, but know the owner. Go figure.

·
Two skinny J's
21,509 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I wasn't sure from the look of it whether they were just advertising, or if they were the ones running it. I always hoped to run into him one day, just to say thank you. So many times I have wondered about something and found the answer there and I am sure Im not alone.

BTW if you are over in these parts, after all you are only in this for the beer, this time Id buy.

·
Banned
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
can someone answer my question? I read that it doesn't matter if I have a 9 speed cause most cranksets will work on any cassette and the shifter isn't an issue cause it can be adjusted for a 2 chainring as well so the only question would be if it can fit. I prolly won't be changing my fork anytime soon if at all but I def will be changing my crankset if it's possible and I really like the one I posted on here. Why don't you guys just relax and let me do what I want with my bike and try to help me maybe. I think it's fun making myself a customized bike.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
We have been trying to help, and you are free to do what you wish with your bike its yours. It may not be as simple as you think. Some shifters are indexed so it expect the chain rings to be specific distances apart. There was a time years ago you probably could have easily pulled this off on an old friction shift system, but back then you had to feel the shift and how many gears you wanted to go. There were no clicks. Now with what is known as a trigger shift, you have three distinct positions. If you adjust the system to use numbers 1 and 2 for your chainrings, what happens when you accidentally go to number 3??? I see no way to adjust this without a new shifter.

A 7 speed chain has different spacing from 8 and 8 from 9, so those are all different because the chain is different. The link sizes are different. I think 9/10 are the same, but I rarely deal with these.

Then you have to consider the front derailleur is now often designed to be used with a given shifter and not all shifters are compatible with all derailleurs. If you go to a 2 chain ring shifter, that may or may not work with your current front derailleur. The only ones that really know are people like Hack that are reviewing the stuff all the time, and bicycle mechanics that fix them day in and day out. Its always changing. Who knows best?? That local bike shop. I have a performance bike near me, but not sure about where you are. Go talk to them or the bike shop near you. The only real way is to have a mechanic look at what you have and tell them what you want to do. They should know if it will work.

You have to remember that customizing will only do so much. Bikes are built for a purpose. You won't make a road bike ready for the x games any more than you are going to ride the tour on a BMX and win. Most everything in life is a compromise. With enough money you can do most anything to any bike. You can also create a bill that will easily exceed what it would cost to buy a bike that is designed and built for the purpose of what you are trying to customize to achieve.

Hack and sprocket girl gave you good advise. Most local bike mechanics would as well. Everyone here has tried to see that you enjoy your ride and have been genuinely concerned about your safety. My advise again would be to ride what you have for a while and gain some experience and fitness. Right now that would probably do more for your bikes performance than any thing you can buy. As your experience grows you may want a different bike, or you may want to make changes, but go slow. Think twice. Then think twice again. Most of the time a bike is the way it is for a reason and there was probably a reason it wasn't built that way in the first place. Most cyclist want to help other cyclists. What you do with that help is up to you.

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
BTW if you are over in these parts, after all you are only in this for the beer, this time Id buy.
The free beer thing is kind of a joke - I'm not really much of a drinker. The last time I had a beer was in January. One of my co-workers passed away, and after his funeral, some of us went to lunch. I toasted Dave with a frosty Heineken. At Outdoor Retailer a few weeks later, I had a half a glass of beer, but that was only because it was a local micro-brew I hadn't tried before. But I do enjoy the party atmosphere at trade shows when they bust out the beer and everyone can just kick back and chill, and not talk sales.

And to the OP, no, the 9 speed shifters won't work with the ten speed cranks. Figure in the cost of the cranks, probably a bottom bracket, chain, cassette, and shifters. I haven't checked the spec on the Utopia, but I'm willing to be that the derailleurs would need to be replaced too. And for what? There's about 18 usable gears in that 3x9, and even less with a 2x10. If you want a custom bike, go build one. To buy a perfectly serviceable bike, and then try to "customize" it into something else is an exercise in futility. I'm always relaxed.

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,622 Posts
yes you can.... however, the sram force crankset takes a GXP bottom bracket... your bike does not have one but one will go on it... sram 10spd cranks will not work with a 9spd chain and cassette but obviously will work with a 10spd ones! you can place a 10spd cassette on your rear wheel with a 10spd chain, the best idea and guess what is cool? srams new 10spd trigger shifters will work with any sram 10sp derailleur thus you can run a sram force with trigger or road style shifters. i have been researching sram... thus i know for sure what will work and won't however for the price of a carbon road fork and sram force groupo.... GUESS WHAT? Yep, you can buy an entire road bike with sram rival... and if you go sram apex you may have enough coin to buy some beer

i do like beer! thus this idea is appealing

·
Banned
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well if i get shimano crankset will it be compatable with my existing derailer and shifters? I just wanna be able to put a better crankset on it and maybe chain and front detrailur if i have to.

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,622 Posts
all ten speed cranksets only work with ten speed chains, rear derailleurs and cassettes. A lot of shimano and sram stuff is interchangeable but no 9spd and 10spd stuff is. the chains are different thus everything else is. actually the cassettes are dif and everything else is built to match them.

·
Banned
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
why is it that wherever I look online I read people saying 10 speed cranksets work with 9 speed cassetts and you just might have to change the front derailur? AND that my existing shifters will work too. It makes sense to me though cause the chainrings should only need a derailur that can align to it right and shift up and down. I don't see how the cassett would matter except if in fact the chain is a lot different but as I read online i see more and more people have and are putting 10 speed cranks with there existing chain and cassettes and shifters with no problems.
look at these links and what people say.

Crankset: 10 speed crank compatible with 9 speed Cassette?:: - Ridemonkey.com

Will a 10 speed crankset work on a 9 speed system? - Yahoo! Answers

·
Rollin Solo like Han...
523 Posts
I'm with hack, buy a new bike. This is getting just a little ridiculous. No mater what you do to it, it's still not gonna be a road bike.

·
Banned
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i don't want it to be aa road bike i just want to be able to go as fast as i can go on the road when i'm off the trails. why can't people answer my questions instead of making irrelevant posts.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts