Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was bored in my engish class today. I had a thought... replace the chain system with a drive line system. I wonder if this would be a more effective solution. Any thoughts???

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
It would most likely be much heavier and I suspect any gain you got would be off set from the extra weight to carry around. I know if I want to go faster, I need a lighter engine.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
It's been done. Shaft runs inside right chain stay, for a clean "What makes it go!?" look. The only one I've seen in real life belonged to a guy who lived on a boat. He purchased it because he thought it might be less vulnerable to the wet and salty sea air than a chain. He was not happy with the drive's performance.

Like most design concepts applied to bicycles this one dates back to the 1890s. Shaft-driven bicycle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmm... interesting. That was quiet helpful good sir. Here is the thing though; in my engineering class I Am working on making a better electric-assist bicycle. I was thinking applying it to a electric might make a better assist.

·
Rollin Solo like Han...
517 Posts
IMO any kind of "assist" to a bicycle defeats the purpose of a bicycle. Pedal power is what it's about. If I needed a motor I'd just drive my car. I understand the challenge of making it happen, how ever the bicycle is a very simple machine. Why complicate it?

·
'57 Schwinn Wasp
224 Posts
I don't know DBB, more people using bikes, getting closer to understanding the issues we face... Might be a plus in that equation somewhere.

·
Rollin Solo like Han...
517 Posts
I for one will not be putting a motor on mine anytime soon. A bicycle with a motor is hardly a bicycle. Pedaling into a headwind with a motor assisting you is cheating no matter how you look at it. To understand the cyclist you must be the cyclist, which does not involve a motor. IMO and all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well i understand i ride my bike often too. For the working out aspect, it would be cheating. I am referring to a better means of commuting. As no one wont's to go to work all sweaty.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Yeah but there are millions of people with the right assist system that could use a bike for transportation with an assist, that without it the method would be totally impractical. It isn't even so much of a sweat issue ( though their co workers would disagree) but a practical one. Trouble is cost of an assisted bike vs cost of a scooter is a big deal. A brand new scooter that would probably be faster and more practical isn't but about $1500 or less the last time I checked. Yes you need a license and insurance, but if you are going to tap the transportation market thats your competition. Unless you don't have a drivers license for some reason like a DUI, that shouldn't be a barrier. The insurance for those little things are not too bad either.

Since even a mid range bike can cost that much before you start adding assist, either the bike has to suffer or you have to be able to build the assist dirt cheap. IF you are looking at this as an engineering exercise, then design away. You just might find a way that can do a great job, be tough as nails, be totally reliable and be dirt cheap. Never know what you are going to learn when you experiment. IF you are looking to market this for money, I honestly do not see the market with current technology.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Funny thing this is for a senior engineering class. I do know there is the tech, just it has not been applied to a bicycle. For example, turn the shaft system into a electric motor (know how to... not sharing though). Use a clam shell design to make it sealed and easy to open and do mantinence on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts