Crazy World

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by RidesAlot, Apr 4, 2018.

1. RidesAlot

RidesAlot Well-Known Member

2. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Tavern Member

Utter disgust.

cwtch and MilesR like this.

3. John_V

John_V Well-Known Member Tavern Member

I wonder if he was a top contender and it was done to keep him from winning and going up in the rankings? Outside of a revenge, I can’t think of another reason to do this to a runner, since they didn’t rob him.

I remember all the crap Amanda went through during her HAMR when she beat Billie Fleming’s record and even more so, Tommy Godwin’s. Both records were held by British cyclists and the Brits were not happy with her. Even Searvogal’s fans were sending nasty grams to her.

rushlake, newleaf150 and cwtch like this.
  4. cwtch

cwtch Well-Known Member

What were they unhappy about? To me it seems a simple record, ride more miles everyday and the record is yours. It isn't like there is a way to dispute who road more miles. I don't get people.
    When she was doing it one thought I had was she was smart to choose a flat nice weather place. My guess is some made that an issue about how it was harder in the UK. It would be even harder in Norway, my point being don't be a dumb arse and attempt such things in a crap weather environment. Or a mountainous region.
    People are strange.

MilesR and rushlake like this.
  5. superj

superj still learning Tavern Member

WOW!! that is horrible. he won't be competing at the level he was, again. they cut to the bone so muscles are cut in half. that is unbelievable. they should find those people and cut their arms off

MilesR and cwtch like this.
  6. Dos_Ruedas

Dos_Ruedas Well-Known Member

Disturbed people in this crazy world.

cwtch likes this.
  7. John_V

John_V Well-Known Member Tavern Member

Yes, people are strange. Billie Fleming and Tommy Godwin broke the men’s and women’s world distance record during the same years (1939 and 1940). Those records held for 77 years until Kurt Searvogal took the record from Tommy Godwin, here in Flatwoods, in January, 2016, riding 76,076 miles. The Brits were not happy with that at all. Other than nasty messages on his FB page, not much was said about it.

On May 15, 2016, Amanda started her attempt at the women’s record held by Billie Fleming. In order to break Fleming’s 29,200+ mile record, she needed to ride 85 miles a day for one year. She started off from day one riding double centuries and by September, the women’s HAMR record was broken. During that time period, She not only got nasty messages from the Brits, but also from guys all over the world who were having their ego crushed because a woman was riding 230-250 miles/day at an average speed of 19-21 mph.

With eight months left to go before her year was up, she decided to continue on and see if she could beat Searvogal’s record. On May 15, 2017, she not only beat Searvogal’s record but added and extra 10,000 miles to the pot. In those eight months is where it really started getting nasty. She was accused of cheating, doctoring her mileage, riding with a motor in her bike (because a woman just can’t do 250 miles a day at those speeds) and the list goes on.

Tommy Godwin also held the world record for the fewest number of days to reach 100,000 miles. He did it in 500 days. Amanda is at 86,624 miles in 365 days so the next logical step is the 100,000 mile record. When the word got out she was going to go for it, she was getting physical threats on her Strava page from unhappy Godwin fans. 58 days later, she broke the 100,000 mile record.

One of the biggest complaints she had against her was the fact that she did a lot of her miles on a recumbent high racer ( a Schlitter) and they didn’t consider that a real bike. I’m sure if Godwin and Fleming had recumbents in those days they would have been riding them as well.

Yes, people are strange!

cwtch likes this.
  8. cwtch

cwtch Well-Known Member

The recumbent thing is a little different, not to take away from her record. More so that it provides a change of muscles being used and maybe a pea bit of recovery. That said I don't like riding them personally and 200 miles on one would not be fun in my opinion. Really silly to be upset about it all.

People don't like "unbreakable" records being broken. In track cycling the hour pursuit is always a mess when someone breaks or gets near the record. To be fair modern track bikes are plain faster. Anyone who set a record pre 1990 is probably tougher but that is life. Part of cycling is the bike.

All and all Amanda beat the records with enough miles to spare that I don't get how anyone can dispute it. The motor rubbish is silly. Though obviously in today's cycling world I wouldn't be surprised if someone has a small motor in any event or challenge.

The lads never like getting beat by a girl. I know from experience. In a DH event my time was faster than all the intermediate guys and someone claimed I must have cut across a section of the course. Fact is the area they claimed I did that in would have been so hard to ride it would have been slower than just taking the switch back on the course. Fortunately a race official was in the corner and saw me stay on course. Anyhow, it doesn't much matter what others think. Ride for oneself.

Kudos to Amanda and shame on anyone who gets on about it. She is a beaut.

newleaf150, superj and MilesR like this.
  9. Dos_Ruedas

Dos_Ruedas Well-Known Member

Those are remarkable feats.
    Still, why all the anger?
    There are so many, much more important things.

These ppl need to look at the big picture.

John_V, cwtch and MilesR like this.
  10. RidesAlot

RidesAlot Well-Known Member

11. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Tavern Member

I like that.

John_V likes this.