Critters - Creature Hazards

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by DrkAngel, May 3, 2010.

1. DrkAngel

DrkAngel New Member

I hope no one objects, but I would like to comment on the dangers of "trail" riding. The "trail" I ride is 8' wide blacktop and follows a river, winding through about 5 miles of forest, across two nice wooden bridges, circles a college campus then returns, on the outskirts of town. (My typical 10 mile, ebike, "jaunt".)

I see deer, in the occasional fields, most every morning. They aren't really a danger, they stay on one side of the trail because the river is fairly tight to the other side, with steep banks, and there are plenty of small streams for drinking water.

Rabbits seem fairly scarce, might see one, maybe two, a day. They take one hop and are in the brush. No problem!

Squirrels! Dozens of them, sometimes 50, or more, on the trail, lots of oak trees. They play it close, always running at the last second, but, almost always, directly toward the nearest tree. Maybe, ... I ran over the toes of one squirrel, once, it was close, but he was still running. The one exception happened with a large gray squirrel, he ran straight up the trail directly ahead of me, for about 50 feet, I was able to clock him at 14.8mph!

The most annoying critters would have to be gnats, and other swarming bugs. Especially in the occasionally sunlight forest region, almost invisible clouds of microscopic pests pummel your eyes and mouth. I wear gradient sunglasses, full wrap around, and take great care not to exert myself to the point of becoming a "mouth breather". I also wear a baseball cap, with large brim, and go "heads down" into the fray!

Which bring me to the most horrific, tragic, suicidal creatures imaginable. I call them "The Kamikaze"! ..... This creature will watch you approach, step to the left, hop to the right then desperately throw himself under your tires. Do not try to avoid him, he can hop, skitter and zig-zag faster than you can imagine. There's no possible way to out maneuver him. I've seen 5 re-directions in 2 seconds. Just to confuse, he will run in circles in front of you, getting warmed up for his death plunge. You don't have a chance, there is no defense! Not much larger than a mouse, this fierce-some creature has certainly earned his racing stripes. Beware! the chipmunk.

2. Hardtail

Hardtail Ridin Dirty

Yeah on last nights ride home the only light I had was from the moon and my headlamp. Well there is no shortage of rabbits here...they kept running out in front of me. So I dropped my speed to leave me time to react. I think I almost ran over the same rabbit 4 times in a matter of 500 meters.

3. BlazingPedals

BlazingPedals Member

It's a game with the chipmunks. The object is to run between your wheels.

4. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

I've had issues with deer before jetting in front of me on trails. Really very little you can do except be aware at all times while riding.

This weekend I went riding and stopped for a second on the trail. Hit a swarm of mosquitoes and they kept following me. My legs got destroyed.

5. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

In the city we have a squirrel issue as well. I have to look out for them. One good hit and I'm off the bike again. In Austin they treat them like an endangered species, so a lot of people feed them to the point they don't have fear of humans. They should though, tree rats.

6. BlazingPedals

BlazingPedals Member

Don't they realize that they're tasty?

7. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Wallaroo for the win! I saw one on a morning bush ride in Australia. All the deer, rabbits, rattlesnakes, and coyotes of SoCal could not compare to that. I thought it was a small kangaroo, but my kids corrected me.

8. Industry_Hack

Spider webs stretched across a trail. I hate that.

9. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

They do. That's why I can't hunt them in the city. They trap them on Capitol grounds then release them in other parts of town. Stupid. If they were catching rats and releasing them people would be in an uproar. In the mean time we have a perfectly good food source just roaming around, being stupid, thinking they are our friends, when all they are is rats with prettier tales. I hate squirrels. Did I make that clear? They are really the only thing I enjoy hunting. Well rats too. So if I don't demonize those evil tree rats it makes it difficult, or it would if I wasn't so callous.

10. Grenouille

Grenouille Grenouille

I once came upon a human couple in the act on the trail. Guess they thought they were way out in the woods.

11. Industry_Hack

"The act"? Like, performing Shakespeare?

12. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I bet they didn't. I was at the lake once saw the same thing. Last year at S.Parde the couple in the hot tub next store were getting at it on our arrival day. Everyone told my grandmother to avoid the window. She told us all if it weren't for that none of us would be here. Evidently my grandmother likes hot tubs.

13. Industry_Hack

At my dad's funeral, his 70ish year old cousin (she is a retired doctor, married to a retired brain surgeon, these are not redneck people by any measure) told me that my grandfather and his two brothers didn't come to America to find their fortunes. In her words they "came here to get laid".

Never underestimate old people.

14. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

So I am beginning to learn.

15. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Good advise indeed. Of the two nicest people I have met lately, one was in an assisted living facility and the other is in a memory care facility dealing with alzheimers. Yet that didn't stop them from living.

Trouble with getting old is that the body sometimes will not let you put to use the wisdom you gained over the years. The problem with being young is that you think you are as smart as you are going to be when you are old and won't listen to the old folks around you that have been there, done that, have the tee shirt

16. TRAILBLAZER86

TRAILBLAZER86 New Member

Yah, I was down at the YMCA twin Creek trails, like usual. I saw a "Tree Rat" LOL near the side walk. He ran up to the side walk, I wanted to scare him and taunted him with my bike. He boldy jumps right in front of my tire and I ran over him and he tumbled off the sidewalk. The couple on a bike coming the opposite direction freaked out. I swear people care more for animals than humans.

17. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

It's a shame, but I've never had a squirrel call me lance, just taunt me. I think my misanthropy is justified, my hatred of squirrels not so much.

18. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Squirrel Gravy Biscuits Now you are making me hungry

19. waldowales

waldowales New Member

Those darn quail run out of the bushes right in front of you, with a dozen babies in tow. At least one is going to die when that happens.

20. Industry_Hack

Native Utahns are pretty dangerous animals.