Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just getting back into riding & I picked up a Raleigh M30 bike for free. It's in great shape it has knobby tires on so I'm changing them to road tires.
but it's to tall by a couple inches.

so my question is can I take it the a welding shop and have the bar lowered?

·
Banned
400 Posts
that sounds tricky. are you sure it's to night? if you can staddle the top bar then it's an ok size... I would think it's more trouble than it's worth but i donno it's really the top bar thats the problem. It would be the seat post stem/post I think. Did you put the seat post down all the way? If the seat post has a shock that adds about two inches to it so if you have one of those put a regular seat post in it and push it down all the way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that sounds tricky. are you sure it's to night? if you can staddle the top bar then it's an ok size... I would think it's more trouble than it's worth but i donno it's really the top bar thats the problem. It would be the seat post stem/post I think. Did you put the seat post down all the way? If the seat post has a shock that adds about two inches to it so if you have one of those put a regular seat post in it and push it down all the way.

thats the problem straddling the bar I'm 5'8" with a 28-29" inseam and this is a taller frame.

I guess I'm going have to find a different bike maybe I can swap with someone.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
On an aside, you do not want to spend much time on a bike that doesn't fit. Its just too easy to get really hurt that can take a long time in recovery. Knees, in particular are subject to injury fairly easily, and that free bike might cost you thousands in doctor bills.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea I've tried riding the bike a few times & it's not good. I measured the frame it's about 23" frame I'm talking to a guy at a bike shop that has a used bike with a 19" frame about swapping even.

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,616 Posts
get the one that fits if you can, to big is dangerous and makes riding the pits.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts