cross bar ?

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by lonewolf, Mar 8, 2011.

1. lonewolf

lonewolf New Member

I'm just getting back into riding & I picked up a Raleigh M30 bike for free. It's in great shape it has knobby tires on so I'm changing them to road tires.
    but it's to tall by a couple inches.

so my question is can I take it the a welding shop and have the bar lowered?

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Nope. Not if you want to ride it.

3. chibibike

chibibike Banned

that sounds tricky. are you sure it's to night? if you can staddle the top bar then it's an ok size... I would think it's more trouble than it's worth but i donno it's really the top bar thats the problem. It would be the seat post stem/post I think. Did you put the seat post down all the way? If the seat post has a shock that adds about two inches to it so if you have one of those put a regular seat post in it and push it down all the way.

4. lonewolf

lonewolf New Member

thats the problem straddling the bar I'm 5'8" with a 28-29" inseam and this is a taller frame.

I guess I'm going have to find a different bike maybe I can swap with someone.

5. ReCYCLE

ReCYCLE New Member

Biking at Night

Hmmm

6. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

On an aside, you do not want to spend much time on a bike that doesn't fit. Its just too easy to get really hurt that can take a long time in recovery. Knees, in particular are subject to injury fairly easily, and that free bike might cost you thousands in doctor bills.

7. lonewolf

lonewolf New Member

yea I've tried riding the bike a few times & it's not good. I measured the frame it's about 23" frame I'm talking to a guy at a bike shop that has a used bike with a 19" frame about swapping even.

8. SprocketGirl

SprocketGirl spin... spin.. spin

get the one that fits if you can, to big is dangerous and makes riding the pits.