Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the differences between a cross and a hybrid bike :confused:

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Straight from the last thread I posted in:

Hybrid = A cross between a road bike and MTB, where an upright riding position and comfort are given design precedence over performance.

As far as the cross bike, that's a slightly beefed up road bike, with skinny knobby tires, raced on dirt paths and mud. Oh, with cantilever or disc brakes, for stopping in the wet/muddy conditions.

·
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would the gearing come in to that like a 50-39-30 chain ring and a 9 speed 11-32 . a 48-38-28 7 speed 12-28

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Off the top of my head, I couldn't tell you exact gearing, but a cross bike would probably be biased towards a bit lower gearing than a proper road bike. Same with a hybrid.

·
Registered
164 Posts
a hybrid has the same riding position as a mountain bike, but it is geared higher than a mountain bike and has the same wheels as a road bike.

A cross bike is very similar to a road bike, but it has a beefier frame, cantilever brakes, different tires than a road bike, and is geared lower.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I have a cross bike.

The gears are lower than a standard road bike. They are 46/34, and 12/27 in the back. It has center pull brakes. And an extra set of brake levers on the handlebars. Also has mounts for fenders. Slightly wider tires with some tread.
Other than that...It is a road bike.

·
4,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Lots of good info thanks . I have a hybrid a Quick 6 but I was wondering if the Alegro by Jamis was a hybrid or a cross .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts