Cruzbike Silvio

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by IanHighfield, Dec 31, 2009.

1. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

I was just looking at a recumbent site (shoot me) and spied this front wheel drive design. I thought it did not look too terrible. I like the short chain length and the fact it looks more like a real bike. Does anyone own one these Silvio models?

I also read a story in which the writer pines for the US triathlon governing body to allow bents in their races since it is a time trial and not a group race. This is a very good idea.

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

I've voiced an opinion about them before.

3. JohnnyMagic

JohnnyMagic New Member

Opinions pending

Here's my take on a FWD MBB;

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

Have only coasted around the driveway with no brakes and 1 gear. Interesting. 20.1 lbs, and I have a Zipp 404 that will shed 300g's.

Hopefully it will sprint and climb, better than an extreme loracer.

JM

4. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

JohnnyMagic, for some reason that bike does not bring the bile up into my throat. It looks more functional in terms of leg position than a lowrider to me. But I've never sat one, just eyeball-wise.

If that bike is your design I have to figure you a trained or simply talented artist. Someone with an eye for lines.

What looks wrong to me is the grip position. Seems like they should be tilted down a little or maybe out? Like to see a human onboard to get a feel for what the arms and hands look like in position to ride.

5. JohnnyMagic

JohnnyMagic New Member

Hey Ian,

Look at the top (finnished bike) pic. Grips are tilted both, down and out.

I spend alot of time on grip position. 5 hrs. on a trainer with the loracer before building bars.

As far as the other comment goes; my bike rules, your bike sucks, seems to be the sentiment on these forums.
    Just because we don't like, or ride type "A or B". I guess it's a "Ford versus Chevy" thing.

JM

6. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

Johnny, I forgot all about the top photo. I fixated on the last all-carbon bike. They are the same I see now. Yes, the grips look right in the top photo.

I thought by now you understood there was no real animosity on my part toward bent bikes or bent riders. What amuses me is the utter lack of humor displayed by most all of them including (it would appear) you. Don't be so sensitive. Bent riders who actually make their own equipment are lightyears ahead of DF guys who do not in my mind.

I've said this before: The day a bent beats me or any other DF rider I respect I'll buy one the next day. That's fair isn't it?

7. JohnnyMagic

JohnnyMagic New Member

I thought I was being funny.

Wished you lived on "right" side of the pond though. You'd be eating your words and ordering a frame from me ;).

JM

8. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

This is the proper side. We sent all our refuse to America and Australia years ago. Some became pols, the others makers of recumbents. We knew something once-upon-a-time.

9. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Not true Johnny. That's just Ian. I think your bike is are awesome. I'm not some sort of cycling purity zealot but I am a friend of innovation and design. You bike is sweet.
    For the Record on the Chevy-Ford argument: Only in a Jeep.

10. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Worked out well for all of us then. We get to deny our imperialistic heritage and practice our form of religion. You got to survive. Seems like it worked out well for both of us.

Auf Wiedersehen ;)

11. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

"Deny our imperialistic heritage?"

No country on earth has been more imperialistic than the US since about 1900. It used to be us (Britain) for several hundred years of colonizing and fleecing the third world. But you blokes ultimately pushed us aside. You've had your 100 years and now look out for the Chinese. Their next dynasty is going to include all of us. They already own you. (US) I read the papers. I know who finances who.

Get used to it. We all have our time in the sun.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  12. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

All Jeep owners should have at least one friend with a Landcruiser to pull them out when they get stuck.

13. itself

itself New Member

JohnnyMagic,

That is an AWESOME midracer! Beautifully designed, love the handlebars. You built this?

And the weight is just great at twenty pounds. Man, it must fly!

Lisa

14. JohnnyMagic

JohnnyMagic New Member

Thanks

Here it is in the finnished state;

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

Came in at 21.2lbs. w/ wheelcovers and brackets for tailcone.

Been riding this bike alot. Still not totally sold on the whole MBB. thing yet.
    I can hammer it and it's a pretty fast bike, but. I cannot get used to the crank having input on the steering.
    The French say" 60 to 100 hrs." to get the feel. I'll keep riding.

For me it's like when I started paddling tippy Kayaks (17" wide).
    It took weeks to stay upright, and months to be able to sprint or even turn my head without tipping over. Now I can paddle 40mph. winds in an 18" boat.

Here are some other models I build.
    Pictures by JohnMorciglio - Photobucket
    Search "all albums" for most models.
    Build MTB and Cross bikes also.

I thought you would have seen them by now, or known who I am.

JM

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  15. itself

itself New Member

Johnny,

Your other builds are awesome. I like the lowracer, looks like the VK2, well done!

Check this out. The guy who custom built it for Richard isn't building anymore, but this bent can handle the trails. I like the monotube design:

[​IMG]

I love the carbon seat on it, that guy is still around and could put that on the Edge Trail Bent that I am waiting for.

Lisa

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  16. JohnnyMagic

JohnnyMagic New Member

TunnelRam

Hey Lisa.

I built that seat for Richard.
    I was working on a self-supported seat, when he contacted me for the second time about building one for him.

The seats use no brackets and have built-in storage. Provided your seat is not laid all the way back to the frame.

JM

17. itself

itself New Member

Johnny,

Bill, the President of Edge Recumbents it trying to put a self supporting seat on the Haiku (he sent me pictures but I can't share them as he hasn't posted on his website yet).

I bet Bill would LOVE to work with you! Your seat design is awesome!

Lisa

18. sheelistic

sheelistic New Member

silvo

hi my name is jerry . i don't own a silvo but i own a cruse bike kit. it is a kit y ou buy from cruse bike com. it is a veryhard bike to learn how to ride. you have to steer it more with your feet than your arms. it is piticular hard to go fom a complete stop cause your rank isnt fixet to anything. i have had my bike for more than a year now. the kit in on a mtn, bike whth suspention it is easy on the back and the suspention on the bike smooths out the bumps.if you need any more info just contact me. cheers sheelistic