Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the object of your heart’s desire? No not that lust...we’re talking gear, kit, swag...important stuff!
I am a dyed in the wool, kool-aid drinking Brooks Fanboy. I have two b17s and a Swallow on my bikes including the b17 on my mtb. But I have to say my wandering eye has caught the absolute vision of beauty and desire...Gilles Berthoud. Oh my, the first time I laid eyes on one it was as exciting a Scarlett Johansson nip slip! I must make her mine!

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,026 Posts
I fancy more things than I have money for, pictures of, space to store and time to ride.......

Reactions: maelochs

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,465 Posts
Though I am always interested in more and better gear, my heart's desire has a lot more to do with experience, specifically touring. Life circumstances make it a challenge, but I'd like to tour by bike over long distances. The Katy Trail, the C&O Towpath, the GAP or Great Allegheny Passage. I could go on and on :love:.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So what is YOUR heart’s desire?
Though I am always interested in more and better gear, my heart's desire has a lot more to do with experience, specifically touring. Life circumstances make it a challenge, but I'd like to tour by bike over long distances. The Katy Trail, the C&O Towpath, the GAP or Great Allegheny Passage. I could go on and on :love:.
Natchez Trace is the one I’d like to. I’m very lucky in that we have over 300 miles of bike paths here that connect to the c&o towpath and that would be an epic trip!

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,465 Posts
So what is YOUR heart’s desire?

Natchez Trace is the one I’d like to. I’m very lucky in that we have over 300 miles of bike paths here that connect to the c&o towpath and that would be an epic trip!
Ooh, the Natchez Trace! That's another one I'd love to see by bike. Along with most anything put out by the Adventure Cycling Association, of course. Though nowhere near the C&O (jealous!), my area does rejoice in hundreds of miles of off-street bike paths, even more on-street. I've ridden many but not all, and love them dearly. Do you have any trip plans for the warmer months?

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ooh, the Natchez Trace! That's another one I'd love to see by bike. Along with most anything put out by the Adventure Cycling Association, of course. Though nowhere near the C&O (jealous!), my area does rejoice in hundreds of miles of off-street bike paths, even more on-street. I've ridden many but not all, and love them dearly. Do you have any trip plans for the warmer months?
My new bike will be here next month and I’m planning a four day tour locally as a first trip. I’m hoping this fall to do the highlands Pathway near Macinac Michigan which is a 90 mile hiking/mtb trail that is a mix of trails and sandy two tracks.
Do you have any plans?

·
tall old member
1,368 Posts
I have lots of touring I want to do. I’ll have to see what the doctors say. I need to get my strength back. I have been held back since retirement because my wife needed my care. Her memorial service is on the 17th. I love solo touring but with my heart condition I should probably sign up for organized tours.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,465 Posts
My new bike will be here next month and I’m planning a four day tour locally as a first trip. I’m hoping this fall to do the highlands Pathway near Macinac Michigan which is a 90 mile hiking/mtb trail that is a mix of trails and sandy two tracks.
Do you have any plans?
I plan to ride as much as I can just as soon as the surgeon authorizes my return to the saddle. Judging by the month I of cycling I got between the first and second surgeries, I've got a lot of fitness level to rebuild. On the positive side, I'm still alive to rebuild it. I have my eye on an overnight trip into the mountains, but not sure when I'll be realistically able to handle the loaded ascent. I'm also interested in the Waunita Overnighter route found on another website, but can't really plan for it until I have a better handle on my fitness level.

I've been toying with the idea of a practice trip to a (very) local state park. It's something I could manage with minimal fitness, but offset by the effectively urban camping situation with heavy use and tightly packed sites. I'm just not a fan of crowds and any time these campgrounds are open, they seem very crowded indeed.

I hope to get some day touring in around Jackson WY and Yellowstone National Park this summer, but if so, it'll be just that - day touring without the overnight component. As much as I'd love to make the ride from here to there by bike, life circumstances presently dictate otherwise.

I hope you're able to make the Highlands Pathway trip, and maybe share some pics and descriptions with us here when you do. Best of luck with the new ride! It looks like a sweet one.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I plan to ride as much as I can just as soon as the surgeon authorizes my return to the saddle. Judging by the month I of cycling I got between the first and second surgeries, I've got a lot of fitness level to rebuild. On the positive side, I'm still alive to rebuild it. I have my eye on an overnight trip into the mountains, but not sure when I'll be realistically able to handle the loaded ascent. I'm also interested in the Waunita Overnighter route found on another website, but can't really plan for it until I have a better handle on my fitness level.

I've been toying with the idea of a practice trip to a (very) local state park. It's something I could manage with minimal fitness, but offset by the effectively urban camping situation with heavy use and tightly packed sites. I'm just not a fan of crowds and any time these campgrounds are open, they seem very crowded indeed.

I hope to get some day touring in around Jackson WY and Yellowstone National Park this summer, but if so, it'll be just that - day touring without the overnight component. As much as I'd love to make the ride from here to there by bike, life circumstances presently dictate otherwise.

I hope you're able to make the Highlands Pathway trip, and maybe share some pics and descriptions with us here when you do. Best of luck with the new ride! It looks like a sweet one.
Oh wow, you’re in Colorado? That must be awesome on multiple levels. I’m a big advocate of the sub24overnighter. Just take the minimum, ride out to some public land, camp and then ride home in the morning.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,465 Posts
Oh wow, you’re in Colorado? That must be awesome on multiple levels. I’m a big advocate of the sub24overnighter. Just take the minimum, ride out to some public land, camp and then ride home in the morning.
I am in CO, in the Denver area. There are a lot of good things to be said about the state, along with the usual quibbles and annoying parts. The local bicycling infrastructure is amazing, no two ways about it. There are tons of trails, and it's easily possible to ride all over the greater Denver area and its suburbs without repeating a route or sharing much, if any pavement with automotive traffic. For those open to playing in bike lanes, the possibilities multiply enormously.

On the down side, local camping options tend to be crowded and more expensive relative to many other places. Stealth camping is a problem outside of BLM or National Forest lands. Cycle tourists doing the trans america trail in particular are often surprised at the dearth of free or low cost camping in this state relative to nearly every other state on the route. Most of our small towns feature laws banning camping within city limits, for example, and hiker/biker sites are pretty much unknown here. I'm not sure why.

That said, I've enjoyed many thousands of happy miles both on and off the pavement here, and look forward to what I hope will be many thousands more. There's a lot to see, and I have yet to find a place in-state that's outright ugly. I've enjoyed several bucket list quality rides here, and even the less dramatic ones are awfully beautiful, especially if taken during the right time of year.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’m firmly in the throws of new bike fever as my new bike I’ve been waiting months in is finally shipping tomorrow. I think my wife is sick of me....

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For the recird my name isn’t Jerry...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts