Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I downloaded the Strava app for my new phone and gave it a try today. I found it to be very intuitive and easy to use. I'm used to using my Garmin 305 and Map My Ride. I found this to be easier. One concern I had was the phone's ability to receive a signal while in my seat pack. It did and there were no gaps in info. I was also concerned with the app's effect on battery life. After my 45 minute ride I saw no discernible drain in the battery. What it'd do on a 50 mile ride remains to be seen. The ease of posting was impressive as well. I can see myself just using the Garmin as a speedo since I take my phone with me any how for emergencies. I have also downloaded the MapMyRide app and will try it next time.

·
Registered
6,994 Posts
I am glad you started this thread.
I have used several bike apps. simultaneously for hours on end. Battery life has been remarkably good. Based on the data they give, I have weeded out three and am now down to two.

I have tried the two you mentioned.

My concern is the data is not consistent. There is always something that doesn't even come close to the other apps.
It could be top speed on one app, total climbing on another, distance or even average speed.
Currently, I am using two apps:
Endomondo
And
Roadbike lite

Elevation and top speed are never close. Elevation can differ more than 1000 ft. and top speed by 10mph.
Although Endomondo ave speed matches my bike computer fine, the top speed isn't even close.

I'd be very interested to hear from someone having good luck with an app.
Maybe I'm asking too much from the technology.

·
Two skinny J's
21,352 Posts
I've given up on them and use SportTracks for me and RWGPS for anything public. For the National Bike challenge and Team TwoSpoke Endomondo.

Like you Dos_, to many inconsistencies between software/sites, I found a couple I like for what I need and press on. At one point I was spending as much time logging stuff as I did actually riding :/

1 - 3 of 3 Posts