Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everybody,
I am for work in Denver from 4 - 10 november. Afterwards I like to cycle from Denver to San Fransico. In San Francisco I will stay a couple of days and will take the plane to Amsterdam.
I wonder whether there are people who like to join me. I have a very good physical condition and can easily make a lot of kilometers per day.
Just give me a sign when you are interested!
Joyce

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi

Very tempting as I will be in California around the end of October, but I am not in condition to ride 2'000km and the Rockies. Sorry. Do tell how it goes.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,138 Posts
Welcome, Joyce, and kudos to you for an audacious plan! Cycling the Rockies in November is far from a task for the faint-hearted. I wish you the best of luck!

I would love to hear more about your preparations and equipment! What kind of bike do you plan to use? Self-supported, or do you have a SAG wagon? How are you planning to handle cycling in temps which can drop below zero*-f at that time of year? Do you have a plan to deal with excessive snow? It can come down very hard and fast in the Rockies in November. The thought of cycling in the mountains at that time - with the right gear - makes me salivate. I bet it's astonishingly beautiful.

I would love to discuss coming along for the tour, but I'm afraid my work situation precludes it :mad:. That said, I live 30-45min from downtown Denver, and I have a car with a bike rack. I'm experienced at driving in poor conditions. If I can offer you any assistance while you're in town, please don't hesitate to pm me. If I can, I will. If I can't, I may at least be able to suggest an alternative.

Best of luck on what sounds like an epic undertaking. Lots of people cycle the Rockies in summer, and that's impressive. It takes a whole different kind of adventurer to contemplate such a thing in winter. Wow.

Please keep us posted. I'd love to see pics of your bike and a list of gear. :thumbsup: for you! May the tour be a no-injury success!

·
457 Posts
Dealing with snow one week and dry roads the next week is a real problem. Are you ready for riding on ice one week and dry roads the next? Even from one day to the next in the mountains...

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,138 Posts
I had my doubts, but people do it, and not everyone comes across as polished and well-researched in forum posts.

I'm all for the idea of the mounain section of the ride, but only for those with cold and severe weather experience. You must understand that attempting something like this can easily get you killed if you come into it unprepared. You can die, for that matter, if you are prepared and just come up unlucky. That's no reason not to do it - the risks are manageable if you have the right equipment and a plan.

There are other routes to Cali which entail less cold-weather risk, but in CO in November, you're not wise to try anything touring-related without some great cold-weather kit.

That said, the Denver area is filled with great cycling opportunities, and short-distance rides offer much more flexibility when it comes to equipment - if it's too cold, you can always do something else.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts