Cycling gadgets--bike tail lights

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by coolcheatan, Sep 14, 2010.

1. coolcheatan

coolcheatan New Member

I cycle a lot in the night and wanted to put a tail light on my Bianchi just in case someone tries to run me over on the road! Lol. Want one which I can fix on myself. Any help??

2. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

I have the Serfas TL-One. I really like it. It was about $25 at my LBS. Super bright with 1 steady and 3 flash modes. Another thing I really like about it is the ease at which you can put in on and take it off your seatpost. The light has a rubber strap mount that is super-easy to use, and, better yet, doesn't require a semi-permanent mount on your bike. This means it's only there when you need it.

My riding buddy was so impressed with the Serfas when he saw mine, that he went out and replaced his tail light with the TL-One also.

I couldn't find a website, showing the mount, but here's a good view of the light.

Serfas TL-One Taillight from BikeBling.com

edit: I just looked at the BikeBling site again. If you click "more images" they show a mount. This mount differs from the one that came with my light. The one with my light is a rubber strap with different notches to accommodate different post diameters instead of the plastic quick release shown in the picture.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010

3. coolcheatan

coolcheatan New Member

Thanks for sharing link.

4. flyingdog

flyingdog Member

Here.....

Attached Files:

• mm.jpg
      mm.jpg
      File size:
      6.5 KB
      Views:
    • nn.jpg
      nn.jpg
      File size:
      10.1 KB
      Views:
  5. glarff-72

glarff-72 New Member

Tail lights

I've been using the DiNotte 140R-LI (140 lumens, red light, lithium ion) for the last year, and it's great. As well it should be, at $230, it is crazy expensive.

Easy on/off, multiple flash/steady modes, weather-proof through the 10 month rainy Portland winter, still holds a charge very well after 1 year, nothing to complain about.

I commute home from work around midnight, dark/curvy/wet road (there is a good bike lane, so I'm not completely insane), and this light really gets me some respect from the drivers. I can hear them slowing down behind me, and even around curves as well.

It's also made in the USA. Other than a hand-made frame, what bike accessory is made in the USA nowadays?

Here is the link:
    DiNotte Lighting USA Shopping Cart

6. glarff-72

glarff-72 New Member

One more very expensive tail light

DiNotte just added a new tail light, one piece battery/light unit, USB recharge cable, very quick on/off, and of course, a crazy price: $200

I haven't used it, so cannot attest to its durability, etc, but other DiNotte products I own have been great over the last year (2 red tail lights, 1 wide angle white handle bar light, 1 amber handlebar light, 1 white narrow angle helmet mounted light). Yes, I am insane for bike lights, but no driver can ever say "I didn't see him". I'll have that on my tombstone.

http://store.dinottelighting.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=dinotte&StoreType=BtoC&Count1=578701198&Count2=495841622

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  7. flyingdog

flyingdog Member

I noticed DINOTTE's site has them on a kick-off type sale for $165, but Holy BeJebus! That's still alotta bucks for a light. Now if it surrounded you with a force field and shot off laser beams at potential erratic cars...Maybe!

8. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

I just saw ExposureLights has a new taillight out. I love their headlights (see thread here: [U]http://www.twospoke.com/forum/f87/exposure-lights-4812/index2.html#post34183[/U]). I'm about to call and pre-order the taillight. I'll write a review when I receive it.

What I really like about the Exposure products compared to most lights on the market is that everything is in one package. There are no external battery packs to mess with.

Here's the link for their soon-to-be-released taillight.
    Exposure Lights | VDO Cycle computers | U.S.E. | Modolo

9. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

I'm old, I got three of those old pin-light battery lights with four modes and they have worked great for years and the battery last for years. Even if you use it everyday.
    One on each bike.

10. retromike3

retromike3 retromike3

to see or be seen?

I have a Night Rider 35W. halogen for when I know I need to see the road. Its "old school" but pumps out a lot of light. It has a high beam and low beam setting and it really works. I also carry around a single led high power strap-on light in case I get caught when the sun goes down. It uses four triple A batteries and I always have it around. If I lived in a part of town that had better street lights I would probably not need to pull out the "big guns" but were I live its hit and miss and I don't see very well in less than Ideal lighting.

The main problem with using the halogen system was that I did not have a way to check if the battery was charged so I set it up so I could check it with my multi meter. It uses a NMH battery and takes about eight hours to charge. It was pretty close to my old Night Sun and I used that unit for years until I left it outside and some Bozo stole it.(or was I a Bozo thinking it would be there when I got back?)

I have a blinker that I have zip tied to my messenger bag. It works pretty well and lasts forever on its batteries.

A good tip is set it up so you can carry it with you or don't let the bike leave you when you go out. Scotty on Star Trek use to say "fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me"

mike

11. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

Nice post Mike.