Two Spoke Forums banner

Cycling goals for 2012

5K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  Tude 
#1 ·
As we come to the last several weeks of the year it's time to start thinking about your cycling goals for next year. Mine are:

1) Log 4000 miles
2) Do at least 2 organized Century rides.
3) Do at least 1 organized charity ride per month between March and October.

Probably more, that will keep be busy for the moment.

#2 ·
Nice! Sounds like a very realistic, attainable goal. When you work full time ya gota keep it real :D Gonna have to wait a bit to make any goals and forecasts for myself.

#3 ·
My goals for next year are to be able to turn the pedals some ;). In the last year I have gotten slower and my rides have gotten shorter, the legs are letting me down. since the second half of the year I think I have aged a lot. Does ageing come in spurts like growing when you are young.:D

#4 ·
Wild, you just keep doing what you are doing. Just don't sit down in that rocking chair and not get back up! Do what you can when you can. You are a lot better off than most of the population your age :D

#6 ·
My goals for next year are to be able to turn the pedals some ;). In the last year I have gotten slower and my rides have gotten shorter, the legs are letting me down. since the second half of the year I think I have aged a lot. Does ageing come in spurts like growing when you are young.:D
Whoever came up with that silly quote that "life begins at 50" was obviously not an active person. I'm not even there yet (but close) and my body aches worse every year. Hang in there Wild... you're an inspiration to us younger guys!

#8 ·
I will try to do more group rides with my wife, we did our first one this fall.
I will try to ride in the Gravel Grovel.
I will get 165mm cranks fitted to my Haro Reserve 1.1
I will become one year older but, more fit.
Join a bike club. Ride more hours and enjoy it more.
And lastly, apologize for not meeting all of my goals.

BobH.

#9 ·
Shed pounds to make riding hills more fun
Log 3k plus(on the low side)
Do a century a month
Do the Seagull in sub 5
Do at least two dual-thons
Travel to new areas to ride and meet new people
Just ride

#10 ·
Anyone remember their goals from last year? (Full disclosure, I didn't have any.) This year I'm thinking:
1. Get the 2-speed kickback sprocket put on the Schwinn Wasp.
2. Break 100 miles *this year* in road time. I know, sad.
3. Attend the Edmonton Tweed Ride 2012.
These are doable for me and would beat my 2011 performance. Youse guys inspire me!

#12 ·
Hoping to do my first full century several over night camping trips and get a motorized bicycle built hopefully on a vintage Scwhinn or colsonn frame

#14 ·
7,500 miles on the road and this-->That Which Does Not Kill Us
Those were my 2011 goals. Unfortunately, I'm gonna end up about 300 miles short on the 7500. But, I'm still riding a high from completing the Ride of the Immortals. Honestly, though, it's probably the reason I'm not hitting 7500. Motivation for big rides has been way down ever since the end of August. But I am enjoying rides a lot more since I'm not "training".

So, I think I'll keep the 7,500 miles as a 2012 goal, and try to find something harder than the Ride of the Immortals. I hope to have a do-it-all bike such as the Salso Fargo or Van Dessel WTF or a more commuter friendly disc-brake 'cross bike built up early next year. I'd also like to do the 100 Miles of Nowhere again (http://www.twospoke.com/forum/f114/100-miles-nowhere-6281/) Oh, yeah, and I'd like to keep doing reviews for Industry Outsider. That's quite fun!

#15 ·
#17 ·
Not made my goals yet. Definitely underestimated myself this year, so goals will be much harder this year! :) Adding in running and possibly swimming as well.

#18 ·
Not made my goals yet. Definitely underestimated myself this year, so goals will be much harder this year! :) Adding in running and possibly swimming as well.
That sounds a lot like triathlon training ;-)

I had an in-ground pool in my back yard until this past spring. They are truly a hole in the ground you throw money into. If it were still there I'd consider training for one.

#20 ·
2012 Goals:
-Ride 1500 miles in at least one month
-A Century ride on all 4 of my bikes
-Ride as many miles as 2011 (7027)
-Do not crash

2011 Unattained Goals:
-Century ride each "riding" month...May through Oct

#21 ·
Shed pounds to make riding hills more fun
Log 3k plus(on the low side)
Do a century a month
Do the Seagull in sub 5
Do at least two dual-thons
Travel to new areas to ride and meet new people
Just ride
My log miles were way off, that's just for a six month period. I'm trying to log no less than 6K in 2012:D:thumbsup:

#22 · (Edited)
A ride from my home in Maryland, through Washington DC to the C&O Canal towpath in Georgetown, to the Sugarloaf Mt. Challenge (backwards, including the bonus climb up Sugarloaf Mountain), to the South Mountain Loop (including the dirt climb up South Mountain, off the cue sheet), to the Waterford Double Cross (backwards, including the extremely steep Furnace Mountain Road, a dirt road starting near the Potomac river in Virginia just across the river from Point of Rocks, Md. straight up, eroded rough surface) to the WO&D bike trail to Key Bridge and home. If Im leave at 3am, I might get home by midnight. I tried this route last summer but left around 10 AM only got 3/4 of it, cutting out big chunks including all three of the climbs highlighted above. I got home around 12:30, about 198 miles. The whole route maybe around 250 miles. Almost 100 miles of this route is unpaved, including approaches to all the high points.

#24 ·
A ride from my home in Maryland, through Washington DC to the C&O Canal towpath in Georgetown, to the Sugarloaf Mt. Challenge (backwards, including the bonus climb up Sugarloaf Mountain), to the South Mountain Loop (including the dirt climb up South Mountain, off the cue sheet), to the Waterford Double Cross (backwards, including the extremely steep Furnace Mountain Road, a dirt road starting near the Potomac river in Virginia just across the river from Point of Rocks, Md. straight up, eroded rough surface) to the WO&D bike trail to Key Bridge and home. If Im leave at 3am, I might get home by midnight. I tried this route last summer but left around 10 AM only got 3/4 of it, cutting out big chunks including all three of the climbs highlighted above. I got home around 12:30, about 198 miles. The whole route maybe around 250 miles. Almost 100 miles of this route is unpaved, including approaches to all the high points.
:rolleyes: That would take up my whole year :D maybe the rest of my life :eek:

#25 ·
Anything I do next year will be far better than this year - my bicycling sucked this year. Didn't even take my offroader out once! Just roadie and commuter. Maybe I'll fix that issue this weekend and take the offroader out since I actually have the weekend ALL to myself!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.