Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So with the cold weather upon us, I'm spending more time thinking about riding then actually riding. My cycling goals for 2012:

- Ride at least 3,000 miles

- Ride in two organized tours. One will be the FANY Ride (Five hundred miles Across NY) which I've done before and want to repeat because upstate NY really is beautiful and has cool summer temps. The other tour I haven't decided on yet.

- Ride the Great Allegheny Passage (GAP) from Pittsburgh to Washington, D.C. This will be my first self-supported tour, and I'm really excited about it. The GAP/C&O Canal is about 330 miles, all off-road, all really senic, especally the PA section.

So let's hear what your 2012 cycling goals are. Once you post it, you gotta do it!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I made it to 2200 miles for 2011. I managed to bike commute half the time in December and plan to do so as often as possible for the rest of the winter.
-Milage goal for 2012: 3000.
-Two organized charity metric century rides: Local hospital ride and the Tour de Cure in Saratoga Springs, NY
-Finish a sprint distance triathlon...1/2 mile swim, 18 mile bike, and 4 mile run.

Good luck all!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm not sure what my goals are really. I think they're as simple as.
-Have fun!
-Ride all through winter
-Learn to ride fixed gear bikes well
-Ride at least once a day if it's possible
-Compete in at least one organised event.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
At 67 my goal is to keep turning the crank. I did get 4152 miles for 2011, we will see what 2012 has instore for us, as the legs are getting tired. I have lots of time to ride and I nead lots of time as slow as I ride. as long as it is fun I will be putting on some miles, how much don't matter as long as I am haveing fun.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Don't think I'll make it to 4100+ let alone 3000, I have settled on 2000 though, really it's only about 65 miles a week (assuming only riding during warm weather, I'm still a wuss), so who knows I may bump that up mid season if I find myself going 40 or 50 miles per trip. Other than that my goal is to learn, I'm still only about 600 miles into this whole cycling thing, so there's lots to learn. How to ride, where to ride, how to maintain, my bike, and me, etc. And most of all like crinklecutter said "have fun"

·
Registered
88 Posts
To get out as often as possible. First ride of 2012 today. Haven't ridden since before Thanksgiving for one reason or another.

8 miles or so in 50 min. Ridding the big hill twice wore my beep beep out. Felt great when I got home.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would like to put on about 2500 this year. Last summer I put on about 1800. However, I could not ride much last winter due to the huge amounts of snow we got. I already got a couple rides to work and back in this week. (I may have to amend my goals)!I am already registered for the tour of lakes which is in the first weekend of June. sponsored by the Paul Bunyan cyclists in Brainerd Minn. I also ride the st. Paul classic. Being that I have a job working nights and have 4 kids to raise I sometimes have difficulty getting out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, the weather is a little opposite here "down under" to you folk in the northern hemisphere! It's been damn hot the past couple of weeks, getting up to 42 degrees Celsius.

As for goals, the lead up to Christmas has put a "go slow" in the spring training. So I'm not feeling as fit as last year.
As for overall km's for the year - I'm hoping for between 4000-5000km.

Upcoming local rides and big ride events should help attribute to allot of those km's.

Plus the Australian Road Championships today being held at Ballarat, being telecast on free to air should also provide further inspiration. Then all the excitement of the Tour Down Under is just around the corner. Giddy up!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
My goals this year:
1. Become a more efficient rider, keep learning!
2. Ride 1500 miles.
3. Loss 15 more lbs!
4. Learn to do some simple maintenance.

·
Rat Biker
432 Posts
Ride as much as I can this year. Didn't get out as much as I had wanted to last year. Planning my first century and gonna do some overnight and maybe a couple weekend by bike camping trips The century is my big goal come the spring/summer

·
16 Posts
Ride 2500 miles this year on my mt bike . Try and come in around 10 hrs at the SM100 , last but the least organize a bunch of trail work days this spring and fall

·
Registered
6 Posts
My goal. 3,000 miles. A little difficult though I am a stay at home dad. So pulling a 50lb 2 year old in a trailer makes it tough. Having to stop every park he sees, etc etc, but still plan on doing it. Also, to beat my 7 mile mark time of 31 minutes.

·
Banned
430 Posts
I am home with my kid too. She likes riding in her "go-kart." I have a friction drive kit on the main bike I use, so I can motor up the hills and can get back quickly if I'm worn out.
Look for other home dads in your area, it might be more fun if the kids have playmates, and the guys can talk about bikes or not feel left behind by all their bike friends. The wives will think its cool if they get a girls-day-out out of it too.

My wife doesn't exercise. She likes books and movies. She won't go to the park with us, and I can't even get her outside with a motor on her bike. It's always "too hot" or "too cold." So that's my goal for 2012, just to spend a day at the park with kid and wife and not hear 1 compliant after 2 miles that she wants to go home.

My goal is to remember what it feels like not to wake up feeling drained, tired, or foggy. I have no mileage goal other than to get out of the house and do a couple charity rides and some bar-hopping, and make at least 1 trip to Cedar Hill State Park this year. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJCdUoInS8s[/ame]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts