Cycling in the Rain.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by funetical, Oct 12, 2009.

1. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

It's been raining in Texas for two weeks with no sign of letting up. Any body take precautions use rain gear to get around?

2. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

I guess we're getting about the same weather here. I don't mind as much what the rain does to me as what it does to the bike. If it hasn't cleared up in time for an afterwork ride, I'm probably going to hit the rollers tonight. Will be the first time since about March. Seems a little early, but like you said, this rain won't stop.

3. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

All I'm doing is lifting and that gets old.

4. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

All of my road bikes are steel, so I try to avoid riding in the rain.

5. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

I rode to work today in light rain. Just wore a rainjacket and took it slow.

6. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Not raining here, but the watter cannons thay use for irrigation sure got me this morning. I can't belive thay get away with having them shoot acrost the road

7. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

Where I live, it rains every few days anyway, so i maintain gear. Rain jacket, rain pants, plastic bags that fit over my socks, and quick-release fenders.

8. bonesindustries

bonesindustries Senior Member

well i had to ride into work in the rain today, due to the fact with my switching out from truck to bike my truck ended up at work.. what i hated about it was riding a steel frame road bike in the rain.. lol so i look at my phone weather and out the window this morning. dark and cloudy but showing rain later. later must have ment in the amount of time it takes me to get dressed. bc when i pushed my bike to the front door it was comming down pretty good. but with no other options i just had to put a hat under my helment and go and grab a rain jacket.. what i learned today is i will be getting a non steel frame bike for commuting and it will have FENDERS!!!!!!..

questions: are they're any specail procautions or cleaning tips for my bike i wiped it down real well when i got here. and does anyone ride in full rain suit. i have a "Frog Togg" suit though i only wore jacket this am considering my commute is only roughly a mile

9. qmsdc15

qmsdc15 Well-Known Member

Depends on the temperature. I like rain pants when it's a cold rain.

My nylon cargo shorts are quick drying, so if it's warm rain, I just need to remove some things from the pockets. This is when bike jersey is handy, with pockets that will be dry under the rain jacket. I wear cotton shirt for fair weather commuting and transport riding, bike jersey for rain or sport rides.

Clipless sandals are nice in warm rain. You will look for puddles to ride through. :)

10. John_V

John_V Moderator Staff Member Mod Team Tavern Member

I don't ride in the rain unless I get caught in it. I had to work in the rain for so many years that I hate doing anything in the rain. As much as I love cycling, I will give up a ride if it's raining or there's a high percentage of rain.

11. bonesindustries

we'll say i got cought in it :) due to the fact that my truck was at work, and my only way to my truck or work was on the old feet or the old bike

12. Poolie

Poolie New Member

Not a fan of riding in the rain. I don't care so much about getting wet myself, but hate getting the bike soaked. The rain we've had here this past week has been in the form of serious lightening storms so not even a though of going out in it. The weather guy said Wednesday evening we had over 2000 lightening per hour when the storms rolled through.

13. Andy2302

Andy2302 Active Member

Getting caught in the rain forced a more intimate knowledge of the bike. My first thorough cleaning showed how all the parts are configured & work. I knocked a couple adjustments off & had to fix them the next day. Sounds awfully basic but this bike came unexpected. Step by step as they say.

14. qmsdc15

I like "clean and lube" products like White Lightning or Rock 'n' Roll to recondition my chain after it's dried. Wheels are much easier to clean if you remove them first. A bucket of soapy water and a brush works well. Before you put the wheels back on, you can wipe brakes, especially the brake pads and other places that got muddy. I use a damp rag and an old toothbrush for that.

Rims, brake pads and drivetrain are most important, the rest can stay dirty.

I wouldn't worry too much about using a steel bike in the rain. Poolies concern about getting his bike 'soaked' is unfounded. Bicycles are designed for outdoor use. They are made of nonabsorbent materials that do not soak up water.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  15. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

Surely that was said in jest :D

16. bonesindustries

yeah i got it dried off and cleaned up. lol guess just a got the "its my baby" thing going with the old bike it's my version of a classic car

17. qmsdc15

I don't like leaving the house winter morning into pouring rain at 40ºF in the dark, but my bicycle never complained. :D

18. ldyvalerie

ldyvalerie New Member

Where are you that it is 40 degrees?

19. qmsdc15

I've not faced a dark rainy winter morning recently. It is summer here. My comment was in reply to the rider who doesn't mind getting wet, but avoids riding in the rain because his bike will get dirty. I do mind getting wet, and I don't care if my bike gets dirty. :p

20. kneedrachen

kneedrachen Moderator Mod Team Tavern Member

Enough. Let's stop the jabs at other member's preferences/reasons for riding in the rain or avoiding it altogether.

I don't mind riding in the rain, but I do not like the idea of water penetration into the bb area, hubs etc.

My bigger concern are the people in cars yakking on their phones about the rain, and are so busy texting/facebooking/tweeting that they do not notice me on the road because their facebook life is so busy they neglected to get new wiper blades.