Cycling Lanes

Discussion in 'Activism / Safety' started by Bikerman, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Bikerman

Bikerman Guest

When they maintain your roads do they also maintain the Bike Lane?
    I was riding south the other day and noticed a road crew filling potholes. When I went by the next day (I take a different path home to avoid boredom) they was still potholes in the bike lane but they were all patched on the road. Just sort of an open question. I'm new and I don't know how things go.

2. synack

synack The Back Row

That's a great question. I live in an area with almost 0 bike lanes and the one's that we do have are new. I'd like to see some more answers on this one.

I've already emailed my local city mayor's office who provided me with their MUP and bicycle plans for our city but they are not even close to finished.

3. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

They maintain bike lanes pretty well here in Austin though we have very few.

4. Bikerman

Bikerman Guest

We have few to but there mainly downtown. I was surprised when I found some in the busier residential areas.

5. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

Still waiting on the bike-lane conversions promised by the new mayor. Potholes are a problem in any event.

6. Techninja

Techninja New Member

Not sure Our city does not have bike lanes. Closest we get to that is a bike path in a city park but I will say if they maintain lanes the way they maintain that path were in trouble. Oklahoma Clay is whooping that bike path good in spots

7. Farnsworth

Farnsworth New Member

I think they get maintained by the road crew but I'm not sure. There's always a lot of debris on the routes I take, but they're all by the green belt, where I would expect to find a lot of stuff.

8. bikenewengland

bikenewengland Bike New England

bad shoulders on the roads

We have the same problem where I live in Ipswich Massachusetts. The town road department director told me a few years ago that they had never thought about cyclists when paving and striping the roads. I created a web page to highlight the worst problem areas for bike on the roads here, and made sure to send the link to the town road department. We also formed an advocacy group in the town, and have had one success, getting the road department to pave a solid 2 foot shoulder on Argilla Road out to Crane Beach. But it's like pulling teeth to make progress. Keep trying

Gordon Harris
    Bike New England

9. Farnsworth

Farnsworth New Member

I like the view of your city, even if it's just pics of busted roads. Have you made any progress with the city? Have they seen your site?

10. bikenewengland

bikenewengland Bike New England

Thanks for asking about Ipswich, Massachusetts. It's almost like a town out of a story book with more Colonial era houses than any other in the country, despite its small size. Success with the road department is very slow-- can't even tell if the new guy reads email. But we did get a modest paved shoulder in the repaving of Argilla Road out to Crane Beach last year.

I lead tours here on the North Shore, and you can see more pics of the area at New England cycling| free bicycle routes |affordable bike tours , and Exploritas bicycle tour| bike Elderhostel| cycling Cape Ann .

Gordon Harris
    New England cycling| New England bike rides|affordable bike tours

11. Gandalfe

Gandalfe '57 Schwinn Wasp

In the Seattle area (I live on the eastside) the paths are plentiful and maintained with the same frequency and quality as the road it's connected to. The best bicycle ways I've every been on was in Germany where they had bike paths separate but parallel to the Autobahns. Note, that was in the '80s. Sweet!

12. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

It seems Germany is ahead of the curve then.

13. JK13

JK13 New Member

Here in the Denver Metro area, when the roads are repaired, that included the bike lane. However, in the winter, the bike lane is where the snow ends up when they plow.....

14. Spokesman

Spokesman New Member

In Copenhagen the bike lanes are (usually) in as good condition as the roadway.
    In the winter, the bike paths are always cleared of snow before the road, at least in the part where I live.
    You can hear them at 5 o'clock in the morning going at it.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  15. froze

froze Banned

In fort Wayne Indiana we don't have bike lanes, we have share the road rules and signs. We do have a bike path system but it's really stupid, with some of the paths using sidewalks which cross driveways in small sections of them, and then during busy hours you either need to walk your bike due to the pedestrian traffic or get on the street. One bike path section got wiped out by a flood and the city has no intentions on rebuilding it so they dump us out onto a street. Fortunately I use to live in Los Angeles and rode my bike downtown there a lot, so riding on city streets doesn't bother me, but for most people I talk to about this it scares them to ride on a city street.

16. Gandalfe

Gandalfe '57 Schwinn Wasp

The worst bike paths are the ones that relegate you to the sidewalk (on purpose!) and then have trees growing in the middle of the walk way. So you have to dodge people, dawgs, baby carts, and trees. Sigh...

17. gatorguy

gatorguy New Member

Ours are pretty well maintained here in St. Paul - that is till the snow flies. They don't plow them.

18. killerbug

killerbug New Member

The ones here in Phoenix that I use are fine and are newer. The street cleaner cleans the lane and the City trims the trees when they start to overhang the lane.