Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I quickly glanced through this area and don't want to be to redundant but do to some recent issues while riding longer rides 60 + miles I have begun to experience some serious leg cramps...it's not been fun at all ! It has felt like I have been going backwards in some of my skills and abilities to ride and has gotten to the point of considering seeing the Doc ! Yesterday on a century ride I was able to talk to a couple of very skilled and experienced riders and after explaining my training/riding regime the said I should really look at nutrition as a whole. Evaluate how, what, when I am eating as well as drinking and quantities of each in accordance with the length, heat, climb etc of rides. Basically what I thought I was doing right as far as Carbs and proteins etc may not be exactly in line with what I should be doing. In a nutshell I am reexamining these things and found a web site that seems to be fairly comprehensive as far as free online information. Time for change ! It all sounds basic but it's time to revisit nutrition for me!

Muscle Cramps Causes, Cramping Prevention and Treatment Information by MedicineNet.com

NEW CYCLING PERFORMANCE TIPS - Table of Contents

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
Yep. I know that nutrition is where I can make the biggest improvements, but I'm somewhat lacking in the mental fortitude to avoid the crap foods that I know are bad for me. Thanks for the link. It does look like a lot of good information.

·
Two skinny J's
21,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a big issue for me working in the field 12 hr days. It's easier to pack a "better" lunch but hard to stick to every day. It's easier to go buy lunch.

·
Ridin Dirty
160 Posts
Well before long rides I like eat lots of clean protien(tuna or chicken) and ensure that I'm properly dydrated.

During a ride, water, Clif bars and the Jif peanut butter cups are my fuel for the recharge on the go. If its a fun ride, carb loading with beer pit stops are nice too.

Muscle cramps/heat cramps are the early stage of heat exhaustion. Again, proper hydration is key here. But this type of injury is just as common during the fall riding season too. Just because its cool out fools alot of riders. Having been extenstively trained by good old Uncle Sam, we are well versed on the training and maintaining.

·
Two skinny J's
21,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well before long rides I like eat lots of clean protien(tuna or chicken) and ensure that I'm properly dydrated.

During a ride, water, Clif bars and the Jif peanut butter cups are my fuel for the recharge on the go. If its a fun ride, carb loading with beer pit stops are nice too.

Muscle cramps/heat cramps are the early stage of heat exhaustion. Again, proper hydration is key here. But this type of injury is just as common during the fall riding season too. Just because its cool out fools alot of riders. Having been extenstively trained by good old Uncle Sam, we are well versed on the training and maintaining.
Hardtail, don't you want to load up on carbs vs protein before a long ride ? I generally think of carbs before riding and protein after for muscle repair/recovery. More to the point I am looking at general nutrition from a daily stand point. What am I putting into my body everyday ? I want to work on changing that aspect.

And yea heat exhaustion and stroke are killer. Training in Chem gear on the flight line was no fun either :)

·
Ridin Dirty
160 Posts
Well I know its kinda differant from the norm, but its worked for me.

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
That's a big issue for me working in the field 12 hr days. It's easier to pack a "better" lunch but hard to stick to every day. It's easier to go buy lunch.
I bring all my food each day, as I've been doing pretty well at shedding my winter weight. But then a friend brings me a free Subway sandwich, and my wife couldn't finish her Chinese takeout. I need a "Do Not Feed The Fat Guy" sign. My lunch was nutritionally sound, but the other two I ate didn't help.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
One thing that has helped me in the past when cramps in the legs occur is potassium. Bananas are high in potassium or you can take a supplement, but levels that are too low for me triggers cramps in the calf muscles and they hurt bad.

·
Two skinny J's
21,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was very surprised when I actually started reading some books on health and nutrient and found there are many other sources of potassium in foods I like much better than bananas. I really like avocados when you can find good ones, cherries- also great for antioxidants, grapes-actually one of the best sources of potassium I have read several times as well as something called Resveratrol. Resveratrol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia sounds like some kind of wonder drug!

And one of my favorites dark chocolate, love me some chocolate milk after a ride!

Other things I didn't know about potassium benefits include Osteoporoses protection, reduced risk of stroke and apparently helps reduce high blood pressure.

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,616 Posts
i eat everything... my favorite pre-ride snack is bananas and peanut butter. or pasta!
post ride chocolate and anything filling.... i also eat a lot of stuff rolled in a tortilla, everything from cheese and meat to pb&J to eggs and ham. on the ride burritos fit well in your jersey!
i like cheeseburgers and strawberry shakes after a long ride..... pie is good too especially key lime.
after looking at what i eat i think it is a good thing i ride a lot...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Rehydration!

Wow reading some of your issues, I guess nobody knows about a nutritional company called Advocare @ mymnss.com? You can read my story as far as weight loss, but I really got into the Rehydration thing when I started hearing of all the Tri-athletes that are using a product called Rehydrate. I started using it and it made a world of difference for "No more Cramps"
If you want to email me @ [email protected], I'll send out the sheets that shows the difference. They don't post these on the site, but I came across them many moons ago and tell everyone I know if I hear story's like this. And they only cost 74 cents when you get them out of the tub of 70 servings. And I always pack little bags of this when I go out.
This is a 1-1 ratio of electrolytes. Loaded with good products, and taste like koolade. I get 2 thumbs up from the grand kids! Hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think I figured this thing out, If you know how to take attachments off the computer and log them on here, that would be great.
By the way sprocket girl, I take the Max energy vitamins, or MNS E + a Spark nutritional, + drink a Rehydrate from mymnss.com (ask for the discounts) everyday and I feel 21, but be careful as my doc told me I'm not 21 anymore, and I had to cool my jets, but if your going to ride, YEP. Also that Rehydrate is hydration in 10 seconds, I've timed it on other kids and they look at you side ways, like "you weren't kidding me?
Have a blessed day.

·
Two skinny J's
21,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
spin... spin.. spin
1,616 Posts
the one thing i do is watch hydration... i drink lots of water and make sure i eat a balanced diet. i ride a lot so, i can eat quite a bit but am aware as i get older i will have to watch it a little closer

·
Registered
9 Posts
Computer guru?

Since I'm not a computer guru, I scanned these sheets and put them in a file on the computer, I send those out as an attachment, but How do I do that on here?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bananas aren't the answer.

I've helped people run the Chicago Marathons, One person ate alot of bananas, drank gatorade, even went to doctors, always cramped up mile 13, It is a 26 mile track, I got ahold of him, I suggest a few things, you can use it or loose it.
I gave him one product for his cramps and hydration needs, Rehydrate from mymnss.com, (and its not just drink one little bottle) also injunction, I also talk about the meal replacement shakes which are used only with water, Contain 24 grams of protein, low on the sugar, taste like a chocolate bar. Catalyst helps support muscle mass, will even help burn up fat. I could go on. When you find out who else uses the products, its Hmmmm wow.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts