Cycling on the phone.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Cycle, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Cycle

Cycle Guest

I was driving a few days back and saw multiple cyclist whipping around the city on there cell phones. Not hands free either, the had there hand up to there ear and everything. It seems that would be dangerous as he11. Any body else seem this?

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

I see motorcyclists and scooter riders on the phone. Idiots.

3. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

Haven't seen it, but to me, it just defines them as the usual citizen/idiot, who just happens to be on a bike instead of driving or walking. Not real cyclists -- we're all about the ride, and socialize on the wireless another time....

4. mikebike

mikebike Florida Cyclist

I have answered my phone while riding. Let me explain... Not on a group ride -- and only when it is one of my sons who have their own ring tones. I immediately pull over and talk....

That said I saw in my rearview mirror a guy on a sport bike texting behind me while going 40+ ---YIKES... I was thinking he would be part of my bumper had I had the need to stop quickly. Luckily (for me) I was in my pick up truck

5. djcyberlegend

djcyberlegend Group rookie

That's a recipe for disaster. If I have to make or take a call, I'll stop first.

6. rawhite1969

rawhite1969 Back in the Saddle

Had a 20-something on a mountain bike on his phone in front of me this week. He made an abrupt left turn as I was passing him that almost resulted in an accident. I got stopped just inches before hitting him. I had no idea he was on his cell until I was about to hit him.

Is a bad idea.

7. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

Talking on a phone while riding. Wait you mean you guys can talk while riding, heck I am lucky to be able to get enough air into my lungs as it is I am not going to waste any on trying to talk.

8. eaton

eaton New Member

I was in a paceline last weekend and heard a phone ringing. The rider in front of me pulls her phone out of her pocket and starts talking, then pulled off. Of course, this caused a gap to form so we all yelled at her. Then she got pissed off because she was talking to a client or something and we're yelling obscenities at her.

I wonder if she'll show up for the ride tomorrow.

9. vitapimp

vitapimp New Member

LOL, classic!

10. Cycle

Cycle Guest

I would hope not!

11. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I see it all the time.

12. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

I won't answer my phone while I am driving my car, sure as hell not going to be on it while riding my bike.

13. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

I don't like to talk on the phone, so ridin is a good reason not to. I carry one for emergencies, but it does sound kinda stupid to talk while ridin, basic no brainer!!!

DrB