Two Spoke Forums banner

Cycling outside in the dark

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  jerfer 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Nope, no struggle at all......several lighting setups that are car headlight bright or brighter and last 3 hrs. Can run helmet and multiple bar lights. Scott Sub speed 10 belt drive commuter has generator front hub and LED headlight/ taillight. Forest trails and neighborhood greenbelt options that are motor vehicle free with lots of mileage. Got attire for wet, dry, cold or warm weather. Have bikes for wet or dry weather. No.....I generally don't share road with traffic during daylight, much less nighttime.

#5 ·
I have found cycling in the dark to be rewarding and a whole lot of fun, but it's important to think things through and take small steps. I live in an area with a lot of off-street bike paths which are open fairly late to accommodate bicycle commuters.

I typically mount a headlight on the bike and another on my helmet, with at least one taillight mounted on the bike. I frequently pair a steady taillight with a flashing one, both red.

The combination of headlights lets me have a steady light on the trail with the ability to direct a second beam at anything I might need to see more clearly off the sides of the trail.

Remember your glasses! It's best to use clear or perhaps amber lenses at night, but protecting your eyes is important. I once rode well after dark while wearing full on sunglasses because I forgot my glasses case with its alternate lenses, and there were so many bugs that I didn't dare to not wear glasses.

Riding at night requires added care and more thought, but the rewards are awesome.