Cycling Pyrenees

Discussion in 'Trail & Ride Reports' started by funetical, Nov 23, 2009.

1. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I was cruising the web and found this pic that made me want to go there and do that. Isn't the Pyrenees part of the Tour De France?

Attached Files:

2. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

A closer location that has some beautiful scenery and would give you a good workout would be a trip through Yosemite National Park on Hwy 120 going west to east.

Start at the intersection of Hwy 120 and Hwy 149 follow hwy 120 through the park to the intersection of hwy 120 and 395 near the Lee Vining airport.

Total trip is just a hair short of a century at 98.9 miles. Start is at 886ft in elevation and the highest point is 9974 ft in elevation. Total climb is 18,062 total descent is a drop of 12,073.

Here is a link to the route on ride with gps. Yosemite ? Tuolumne, CA US

Here are some pics of what you will get to see.

Attached Files:

3. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Amazing. I've never Cycled in the Mountains. Our over Babbling brooks. I'm stuck in the city more or less.

4. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

You have the Greenbelt which is an amazing ride.

5. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

This is true but it's not the mountains.

6. RoyEveritt

RoyEveritt Brit

I drove the support vehicle when my brother-in-law and three friends cycled the length of the Pyrenees from Atlantic to Mediterranean 3 years ago. It was around 600 miles and they climbed a total of around 90,000 ft.
    The mountains form the border between France and Spain and they often feature in the Tour, as they did this year, including the Col de Tourmalet.