Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a little advice. I just bought my first ever pair of road cycling shoes. In the kitchen, on the tile floor, I almost went down for the count. Very slippery. I'll be keeping them next to the bike from now on. I ride with toe straps, never tried clipless pedals. Thing is, in traffic, when having to stop for a traffic light I find the slickness in just putting my foot down a little scary. Can anyone recommend anything to make the bottom of the shoe a little safer without compromising the easy in and out from the toe strap?
Thanks.

·
889 Posts
That's an advantage of the clipless system. With the cleat you get a little more traction. Try stepping more on your heel where there should be a little bit of rubber.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Is it a road shoe or mountain bike shoe??? The road shoes with an all plastic sole are very slick. I bought a mountain bike shoe for that reason. They make a product that they use for walkways for grip that is a black and rough to prevent slipping. I don't remember what its called but its the stuff you see painted on the low winged small airplanes where you have to walk on the wing to get in. You would still get the stiff sole from the road shoe and have some traction. It was also very expensive. Good old Sportys Pilot shop has it in the quart size for about $30 plus another $35 for haz mat shipping. They called it wing walk compound. Oh I don't miss that part of the old game at all.

Still a local paint shop may have something that you would put on the bottom to keep it from slipping. Just make sure you keep anything you put on the bottom away from the cleats.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Agreed, but you do have to do a little walking in them and some of the road shoes I have seen were so slick on the bottom that getting to the bathroom without winding up at the bottom of the outhouse would be a bit of a priority. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
My experience with clip on shoes is that they are a huge improvement in performance over the strap system, because you can pull a lot harder on the up hills. They do take a little getting used to though and it's easy to take a fall, especially if you are moving slowly. Practice makes perfection though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts