Cycling Siberia

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by altozwei, Dec 15, 2009.

1. altozwei

altozwei New Member

2. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Very cool. I wonder how much security was a concern.

3. mike047

mike047 New Member

I can't say about their trip, but in my experience....if you are away from the big cities there generally is no worries. That was over 30 some odd years ago for me, it may have changed substantially by now.

4. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

That was a great video. Thanks altozewei.

I didn't think a person could still make such a trip in that corner of the world. Would like to know how passport and visa/permit issues were handled.

After watching the whole thing I could not help but think a chap could make such a voyage with far less equipment on his bike. They always mention the largess of others. Seems you could have gotten away with a more minimalist approach and carried less bulk and weight.

Obviously a recumbent was capable, but wouldn't a standard mountain bike have been a better choice with all the hills and rough turf?

What would you have chosen for this kind of adventure? I'd have taken a steel non-suspended mountain bike with 26" tyres with at least 36 spokes. 40 spoke if you could find them. I'd make it a low-gear single speed. (not fixed) This for reasons of durability. Such a trip is not a race. I'd choose steel for a frame so that any village auto-butcher could weld on it in a pinch. Alloy or carbon fiber would pose a problem in many out of the way places.

That said, such a thing is not for me. I'd perish in the first overnight without a hot shower.

Great film, tough lads.

5. mike047

mike047 New Member

That the Aussies for ya:thumbsup:

6. vladfil

vladfil New Member