Cycling: Solo or Group Rides?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Myster, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Myster

Myster Guest

How do you prefer to cycle? I like solo. I find having people around is to much. If there not as serious as you are there talking instead of breathing and it causes issues. I cycle to get away form everything.

2. bankchick

bankchick New Member

I prefer group but see advantages to solo. We have a small group 4-5 and it can be slow going sometimes and hard to get everyone focused.

3. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Mountain biking with a group. Road bike solo.

4. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

No real preference; both have their goods & bads -- the main thing is, I'm RIDING!

5. djcyberlegend

djcyberlegend Group rookie

Mainly a lone wolf right now, may start going with groups next season.

6. eaton

eaton New Member

Both. Like the differences between the two.

Today's my solo day. Bye.

7. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

I usually ride alone because it's easier to just grab your bike and hit the trail as opposed to organizing a group ride. I like to do both though.

8. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Solo because I have no choice. I commute and there's nobody on my path.

9. vitapimp

vitapimp New Member

small group, 3-4.

10. Cycle

Cycle Guest

Group, bigger the better.

11. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

I like to change it up. I belong to a bike club that has regular rides, so when I want a group fix or I feel the need to be pushed a little harder; I go for a group ride. But most of my riding is solo which I do prefer. Solo allows me to go at my own pace depending on how I am feeling that day.

12. Michigander

Michigander Member

Group rides are better. But often hard to arrange.

13. mikebike

mikebike Florida Cyclist

I like a group on the road....albeit a smaller group. The logistics can be a pain.

In the woods usually solo or one other -- it is just simpler and I do not stop much (read very seldom) so most like more frequent stops ( I am there to ride)
    :cool:

14. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

There is no one down here in the swamp but me ;)

15. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

On windy road rides, I definitely prefer groups. Especially with a couple of fast Clydesdales thrown in. :)

But there are days when I just like being out there on my own.

New groups can be a little sketchy. For example, at the start of the Tour d'Cure, I was nearly taken out when someone yelled "car up" and I guess the guy I was following thought this was his cue to grab two handfuls of brakes. I had to lock up and swerve. I heard a commotion behind me as this of course created a chain-reaction. Luckily no one wrecked, but it was very close.

Maybe we need a group road-riding thread. I know I was glad someone had told me the do's and don't's before I rode in a paceline the first time.

16. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

Like wild except up here in the mountains, nobody here but me. I've never ridin with more than 2 people at a time so really no opinion about groups, but lookin forward to givin em a try.

DrB

17. senecacyclist

senecacyclist New Member

Its more relaxing to ride alone, less demanding mentally, maybe physically, and much harder to crash.

18. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Yes it is relaxing to ride alone but some times I relax to much an find my self dwadaling, then I am late for lunch ;) don-utos comes down to the swamp and, rideing with him I pick it up a little, Thanks don-utos

19. bikebum1975

bikebum1975 Rat Biker

Soloist here never done a group ride outside of 2 or 3 others. But prefer to be on my own when riding

20. BeginnerCycling

BeginnerCycling Active Member

Doing group rides really helped me get comfortable riding on the road. These days I usually have kids' sports events when the groups have their rides, but I still enjoy catching one every now and then. I also enjoy quiet solo rides.