cycling with a possible miniscus tear

Discussion in 'Training / Health' started by chaco24, Jul 24, 2010.

1. chaco24

chaco24 New Member

Hey guys, I did my 1st metric century last sunday and on the following monday I took a spill on the bike which resulted in a pretty large lump on the front of my left knee in the region of the outer miniscus. so I took the rest of the week of from riding and went for a short ride today to see how my knee felt, planned on doing about 30 miles and ended up only doing 12 because my knee start to feel like it was on fire. my question is how long should I wait before trying to ride again? any and all sensible replies are welcomed.

2. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

First thing is to get thyself to a doctor and don't guess. Let a medical professional see if you need additional medical care, let them assess it and make a decision on what is really wrong. Trying to ride too soon can often at best set you way back on your recovery, and if something is major wrong that you don't know about it can be a lifetime of misery that is unnecessary. It may not be anything really serious. It may just need more rest, and they would have a far better guess at how much than anyone here.

Now I have probably let more cuts that some doctors would have stitched up heal on their own that anyone, but joints I don't mess with.

3. chaco24

chaco24 New Member

Did a little over 33 miles today with a knee brace on and I feel OK, but I'm icing my knee down just in case. If its still bothering me a week from now I'll bite the bullet and go see the doc about it.

4. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Sounds like your doing the right thing by taking things slowly until you feel 100%. Always good to follow-up with a Doctor if things progress at all.

5. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

the fact that you need the brace to ride is what worries me. be careful. You are not in the NFL with your team bound for the playoffs. Just be careful