Cyclist Gets Ticketed Outside Office

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by TxCyclist, Jan 7, 2010.

1. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Heard the bullhorn siren and see a LEO pulling over a cyclist. Took the thrash out to eavesdrop and thought I overheard him saying he ran a stop sign and impeded traffic. Gotta follow the law!

Attached Files:

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Was he on a fixed gear?

3. ruggedscotsman

ruggedscotsman hardtail hardass

I know its strange, but I'm happy to hear this story. Too many cyclists ignore all the rules adding to the negative stereotype of cyclists held by many drivers.

4. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

That seems like a weird question. Is it because it's more difficult to stop?

5. synack

synack The Back Row

No, then he would have been ticketed for being a hipster. :)

6. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Nope. Geared MTB.

7. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

Not trying to be the curmudgeon here, but just because the cop pulled him over for it doesn't mean he did it; running the stop, probably, but 'impeding' is a judgment call, and the cops are notorious for poor judgment on that when it comes to bikes.

One man's 'taking the lane' is another man's 'impeding'.... Personally, I'll almost never side with the cops in a bike stop. When they can prove that a majority of them know WTF they're talking about regarding bike laws, I'll cut them some slack.

8. Industry_Hack

Many of them choose to ride brake-less, (or breakless ;)) and some municipalities have made it a habit of targeting them.

9. dcswan

dcswan New Member

impede [ɪmˈpiːd]
    vb
    (tr) to restrict or retard in action, progress, etc.; hinder; obstruct
    [from Latin impedīre to hinder, literally: shackle the feet, from pēs foot]

If he ran a stop sign and there was another vehicle that was getting ready to cross in his path but couldn't because he was there, sounds pretty much like he was hinderingprogress to me. Don't know about other states, but in De bicyclists have to follow the same rules of a motor vehicle since they are considered a vehicle. While I've been driving I've seen people "taking the lane" in their car at a stop sign/light and that phrase isn't what first came to mind. More like an idiot who doesn't know how to drive. Just my opinion for what's worth.

10. BlazingPedals

BlazingPedals Member

Selz vs Monroe County, upon appeal, held that a bicycle traveling at a reasonable speed for a bicycle, is not impeding traffic. To rule otherwise would be to defacto outlaw bicycles from the roads. But then, my experience with police is that very few of them have ever taken a class in vehicle code, and their knowledge of law is no better than the average driver's.

11. dcswan

dcswan New Member

I don't think the discussion is so much about at what speed the bicycle is going before it is considered impedeing traffic, but more of whether going through a stop sign impedes traffic. So with the case you referenced that might make me inclined to blow through a stop sign/light in my truck and bring this case to my defense in court, "I was going a reasonable speed." If cops knowledge is not better than mine, should be an easy case to win.

12. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

I blow stop signs on the bike all the time. But if I get pinched some day I expect a citation. Rules are rules and a bike is traffic.

13. Industry_Hack

What about bubbles?

14. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

You have laws against bubbles?

15. dcswan

dcswan New Member

Tiny bubbles, In my wine, Make me happy, Make me feel fine
    Tiny bubbles, In my beer, Make me happy, Make me wanna cheer
    Tiny bubbles, In my coke, Make me woozy, Make me wanna choke

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  16. snowbird

snowbird New Member

I'm a bit confused as to which laws apply to me. When I'm on the sidewalk, in the bike lane, traffic lane, or on the berm, different laws apply.
    So I'm going to order one of those superbright LED flashers from Nashbar. Then it'll be clear I'm breaking the law, because flashing red lights are illegal.

I'd rather break some ordinance than be "dead right".

17. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I do.

Industry I don't think the Law enforcement in my community is enough into bike culture to spot the fixies but I do know they don't like us. I had one about a month ago get behind me and cruise while everyone else passed me by. At first I though maybe he was helping but then I realized traffic was to heavy for him to yield to the other lane and he was getting pissed just sitting behind me.

I waved.

18. Industry_Hack

I picked my kid up from school yesterday, and was very disappointed to see that not only had the crossing guard not shown up, but the officer that was there was not officer Crook. Officer Crook drove by though. A terrible name for a cop, but she's smokin' hot. When my wife and I split, I was presented with a golden opportunity that I didn't take advantage of.

19. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I can't believe the cross guard wasn't there. Did you call the school?

20. Industry_Hack

If the crossing guard doesn't/can't show up, they have a police officer do it.