Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
hardtail hardass
45 Posts
I know its strange, but I'm happy to hear this story. Too many cyclists ignore all the rules adding to the negative stereotype of cyclists held by many drivers.

·
DX's Biggest Member
793 Posts
Not trying to be the curmudgeon here, but just because the cop pulled him over for it doesn't mean he did it; running the stop, probably, but 'impeding' is a judgment call, and the cops are notorious for poor judgment on that when it comes to bikes.

One man's 'taking the lane' is another man's 'impeding'.... Personally, I'll almost never side with the cops in a bike stop. When they can prove that a majority of them know WTF they're talking about regarding bike laws, I'll cut them some slack.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Not trying to be the curmudgeon here, but just because the cop pulled him over for it doesn't mean he did it; running the stop, probably, but 'impeding' is a judgment call, and the cops are notorious for poor judgment on that when it comes to bikes.

One man's 'taking the lane' is another man's 'impeding'.... Personally, I'll almost never side with the cops in a bike stop. When they can prove that a majority of them know WTF they're talking about regarding bike laws, I'll cut them some slack.
impede [ɪmˈpiːd]
vb
(tr) to restrict or retard in action, progress, etc.; hinder; obstruct
[from Latin impedīre to hinder, literally: shackle the feet, from pēs foot]

If he ran a stop sign and there was another vehicle that was getting ready to cross in his path but couldn't because he was there, sounds pretty much like he was hinderingprogress to me. Don't know about other states, but in De bicyclists have to follow the same rules of a motor vehicle since they are considered a vehicle. While I've been driving I've seen people "taking the lane" in their car at a stop sign/light and that phrase isn't what first came to mind. More like an idiot who doesn't know how to drive. Just my opinion for what's worth.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Selz vs Monroe County, upon appeal, held that a bicycle traveling at a reasonable speed for a bicycle, is not impeding traffic. To rule otherwise would be to defacto outlaw bicycles from the roads. But then, my experience with police is that very few of them have ever taken a class in vehicle code, and their knowledge of law is no better than the average driver's.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Selz vs Monroe County, upon appeal, held that a bicycle traveling at a reasonable speed for a bicycle, is not impeding traffic. To rule otherwise would be to defacto outlaw bicycles from the roads. But then, my experience with police is that very few of them have ever taken a class in vehicle code, and their knowledge of law is no better than the average driver's.
I don't think the discussion is so much about at what speed the bicycle is going before it is considered impedeing traffic, but more of whether going through a stop sign impedes traffic. So with the case you referenced that might make me inclined to blow through a stop sign/light in my truck and bring this case to my defense in court, "I was going a reasonable speed." If cops knowledge is not better than mine, should be an easy case to win.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Tiny bubbles, In my wine, Make me happy, Make me feel fine
Tiny bubbles, In my beer, Make me happy, Make me wanna cheer
Tiny bubbles, In my coke, Make me woozy, Make me wanna choke

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm a bit confused as to which laws apply to me. When I'm on the sidewalk, in the bike lane, traffic lane, or on the berm, different laws apply.
So I'm going to order one of those superbright LED flashers from Nashbar. Then it'll be clear I'm breaking the law, because flashing red lights are illegal.

I'd rather break some ordinance than be "dead right".

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
You have laws against bubbles?
I do.

Industry I don't think the Law enforcement in my community is enough into bike culture to spot the fixies but I do know they don't like us. I had one about a month ago get behind me and cruise while everyone else passed me by. At first I though maybe he was helping but then I realized traffic was to heavy for him to yield to the other lane and he was getting pissed just sitting behind me.

I waved.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
I picked my kid up from school yesterday, and was very disappointed to see that not only had the crossing guard not shown up, but the officer that was there was not officer Crook. Officer Crook drove by though. A terrible name for a cop, but she's smokin' hot. When my wife and I split, I was presented with a golden opportunity that I didn't take advantage of.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts