Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Firstly - I know the internet is fileld with topics like these, and I have read through many of them, however every rider is different, right?

Here's my situation. I've started cycling actively quite recently (this spring) an I've really gotten bit by the bug. I love it!

I allready have a full suspension Ironhorse MTB from 2003 which is a plump 38 pounds. It really is a good bike though and works great.

However I've recently started cycling on the road more. But living in Norway the roads are terrible. Lots of cracks in the asphalt, quite narrow and dodgy back roads, snow in the winter, and rain more or less the rest of the year. I come from a semi-suburban/rural area so there are quite a few gravel/dirt farm roads here and there which are quite nice to bike on. So I can swtich between riding on road 80% of the time, and suddenly take a gravel road to create a nice route for myself

To me this sounds like perfect cyclocross terrain - lots of variations and tires that can tolerate varying asphalt and road conditions conditions.

However, there is also a lot of hills in my area. I've made an estimation that most of the hills are on averege 4-6% incline with maximum about 15%. Usually they are about 2-5km long. I've added a profile of a typical route I take for excerise below. And for cyclocross, would those kind of hills be uncomfortable with typical XC gear ratios?

Also - I am not looking to win races or anything. I just want a bike thats a bit more fun to ride on the 80% road conditions that I ride on! Also a bike that I can ride to work, to a friends house etc.

So, is an XR a fitting use for mye somewhat varied use, or isn't it varied enough?

Cheers

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
Have you looked into a touring bike many have a tripple 50-39-30 and an 11-34 cassette, allso a 700x32 tire with a rim that has a 32 or better spoke count, and fenders. I like my Jamis Aurora Elite I ride.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, looked a little at touring bikes. There's not really a lot of availability of where I live + how are they when the conditions get dodgy?

I think I might just go for cyclocross, talked to someone in the area who is 'really' happy!

Cannondale CaadX 105 might be the thing!

Thanks though!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts