Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Mom's Taxi
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today is my Dad's birthday. He turned 100! I submitted a photo and some information to the Today show to get him on a Smucker's jar. Either I was way to late, or they didn't like the photo. Yesterday I sent an email to one of Dad's friends. He told me to get him a good photo and the information and he would pull some strings.

·
Mom's Taxi
5,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went to the nursing home today to sweet talk the cna into shaving him, putting a shirt on him and putting him in a chair for a photo. When I got there, he was shaved and in a shirt. It took 2 cna's to get him into a chair. The staff do take great care of my parents.

·
Two skinny J's
21,686 Posts
^ Man...

Reactions: John_V

·
Premium Member
9,948 Posts
My dad was 96 and was still living at home with my mother, without any external assistance, when he passed away. I congratulate your dad on making 100, but I don’t know if I want to hang around that long. Especially, where this country and the world is headed.

·
Registered
288 Posts
From your post can't tell if he is a bedridden, constant care 100, or an independent 100 who has some mobility issues and doesn't like to shave.

One is sad. The other deserves an AttaBoy.

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,071 Posts
Been nice to have had dad make it past 63.........I know I'm sure gonna try to. Glad you still have yours around. World is a stupider place without any of your elders............

·
Registered
811 Posts
Congrats to your dad!

My dad is 100 also (I was a VERY late child), turned 100 in July. Up until a year ago he was living in his own house and taking care of it (with a bit of help from my sister and I - I live about 600 feet away)
But a middle of the night fall caused a severe broken bone in his leg which had to be operated on and that was it for him living alone, as he never fully recovered the strength and stability to walk without a walker and usually a wheelchair - which is maddening to a guy who has been active all of his life, growing up working on farms and owning one and always walking, hiking, and doing the occasional bit of biking.

Being close to a person of advanced age who has always kept active is inspiring.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts