Damage to car from bike rack

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by rossmkh, Dec 6, 2010.

1. rossmkh

rossmkh New Member

Hey!
    I was just wondering everyone else's opinion on my problem. I was driving up to school in August and had three bikes on my 3-bike Bell bike rack (each one was surely less than 30 lbs). I went over a bump in the road and the two horizontal bars that hold the bikes collapsed and fell on my car. The bikes were ok and luckily they were all locked together (and to the bike rack), so they didn't slide off and cause an accident, since I was driving on the interstate. My question is, should I try to get money for the damages?? When it collapsed, it made two pretty decent sized dents on the top of my trunk and one of the pedals scratched my bumper on the way down. Believe me, I've had this bike rack for over a year and I know how to put it on, so without a doubt, it was on correctly. I'm just not sure what to do! The dents are large enough that it might be a problem when the time comes to sell the car...

Should I try to get money from Bell directly?? I figured that wouldn't work, so I was wondering what y'all thought about my little predicament. Thanks!!

2. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

I would take some photos and send a letter to them with the photos.
    My wife had a shopping cart blow acrost the parking lot at Target , and after thay looked at the vidio tape from there cameras thay paid to have it fixed.
    Good luck

3. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Did you take photos when it happened?

4. rossmkh

rossmkh New Member

Yes, I took pictures right after it happened.

5. Industry_Hack

I would contact them. You said it's a Bell? I probably have a good email contact at home, if you don't get anywhere with their customer service.

6. rossmkh

rossmkh New Member

Actually, I'd really like to have that email contact. I've tried to go through customer service and have waited 20+ minutes, but got fed up and hung up. Thanks!

7. Industry_Hack

I'll try to remember when I get home.

8. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

I was searching for Bell's warranty information after I first read this thread, and came across what appears to be an archived FAQ page for them. I thought this was kind of funny (and sad, too):

Who wears Bell helmets?

The biggest names in motorsports, cycling and action sports have worn or today wear Bell helmets including:

Tyler Hamilton – World renowned cyclist; 4th place in 2003 Tour de France

9. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Go with what you got I guess.

10. gs46

gs46 Pedaling Old Man

I'm surprised and sorry to hear about your car. In my many years of motorcycle and car racing I have always found Bell equipment to be very good. I beleive if you can contact the correct person you will be satisfied with their response as long as you have good pic's. Good Luck!

11. rossmkh

rossmkh New Member

Thanks! Yes, I too was very happy with my Bell purchases up to this point...

12. momule

momule New Member

Documentation is everything but....

You should also feel some responsibility for this since the bikes got loose and, as you said, you had the rack on your car correctly. Perhaps you bought an inferior product? In my opinion I would never trust my bikes on the back of my car on a Bell Rack.

Get a lawyer, spend a lot of money, and good luck. I think you would be better off by re-reading the install directions and checking the straps more often. Bell has been in business for a very long time and I suspect they have their bases covered as far as liability is concerned.

My opinion? If you want to carry your bike on your car, get a good car carrier and do not look at Bell since they are the Walmart of bike stuff. You get what you pay for every time.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  13. momule

momule New Member

Bell is a Walmart brand.....ya get what you pay for. NUFF SAID.

14. momule

momule New Member

Over one year old? I suspect you are out of the warranty period and now should consider a Thule or Yakima. If you are out of warranty they will correctly tell you to suck eggs. I would look at this as a lesson about trunk mounted racks and act accordingly with your next purchase. Sorry if this seems harsh but since the only price you paid was a couple dents in your trunk, the bikes are ok, and no one died, you should consider this whole experience to be a very small price paid for a good lesson. Everything wears out eventually.