Danger Warning

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Grape Ape, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

I ran across a thread over on Jeepforum regarding the use of Brake cleaner and getting it hot can turn it into Phosgene gas (mustard gas). Here is a link to the article. Brake Cleaner = Phosgene Article.

I know a lot of us probably do our own work and use brake cleaner and other chemicals. Please read the labels and use caution.

2. bantam700

bantam700 New Member

Wow, that sounds like a horrible ordeal.

3. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

R12 can also produce phosgene gas if burned. Nasty stuff!

4. zahgurim

zahgurim zero the hero

Ummm... should you be breathing in brake cleaner, whether it's it hot and phosgeney, or just plain cold and brake cleanery?

Or is it safe to breath it as long as it's cold? lol...

5. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

Just got to work, picked up a can of Brakleen, and read the label. Yup, sure enough, this is some nasty stuff.....
    Reminds me of Happy Fun Ball!

6. bikingbeau

bikingbeau Guest

Thanks for the warning, Grape Ape!

7. ChiliDawg

ChiliDawg Guest

Hopefully your bicycle brake pads won't get hot enough to do that......

8. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

After reading they say if a person is smoking and using brake cleaner they can get the same effect. The fumes are drawn through the cigarette which can reach 1200+ degrees F. The fumes are pulled into the cigarette heated to 1000+ then inhaled. Pretty messed up. I am glad I quit smoking in 06.

The thing to think about here is that many of us have MSDS for all the chemicals we have at work. Yet never think of the dangers of the "safe" stuff we can buy over the counter at the parts store etc.

9. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

I always take warnings very serious, almost to paranoia my wife says, when it comes to chemical solvents, cleaners. I esp. always wear eye protection after I got some carb cleaner in my eye once.

10. Jenjabread

Jenjabread Guest

Yikes! Never really thought about that happening. Crazy.