Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Younger than Hack
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran across a thread over on Jeepforum regarding the use of Brake cleaner and getting it hot can turn it into Phosgene gas (mustard gas). Here is a link to the article. Brake Cleaner = Phosgene Article.

I know a lot of us probably do our own work and use brake cleaner and other chemicals. Please read the labels and use caution.

·
zero the hero
75 Posts
Ummm... should you be breathing in brake cleaner, whether it's it hot and phosgeney, or just plain cold and brake cleanery?

Or is it safe to breath it as long as it's cold? lol...

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
Just got to work, picked up a can of Brakleen, and read the label. Yup, sure enough, this is some nasty stuff.....
CRC Brakleen said:
Contains Tetrachloroethylene 127-18-4 and Carbon Dioxide 124-38-9. Do not puncture, incinerate, or store can above 120°F. Exposure to high temperature may cause can to burst. Do not place in direct sunlight or near any heat source. Do not use this product near open flames, welding operations, or excessive heat. Vapors may decompose to harmful or fatal corrosive gases such as hydrogen chloride and possibly phosgene. Overexposure to vapors may cause eye and skin irritation, headaches, dizziness, nausea, irritation to upper respiratory tract and irregular heartbeats. Deliberate misuse by concentrating and inhaling the contents can be harmful or fatal. Use with adequate ventilation. Open doors and windows or use other means to ensure a fresh air supply during use and while product is drying. If you experience any symptoms listed on this label, increase ventilation or leave the area. Avoid continuous breathing of vapor and spray mist. Avoid contact with skin and eyes. Vapors are heavier than air and will collect in low areas. If ventilation is not adequate, respiratory protection should be used.
Reminds me of Happy Fun Ball!

·
Younger than Hack
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After reading they say if a person is smoking and using brake cleaner they can get the same effect. The fumes are drawn through the cigarette which can reach 1200+ degrees F. The fumes are pulled into the cigarette heated to 1000+ then inhaled. Pretty messed up. I am glad I quit smoking in 06.

The thing to think about here is that many of us have MSDS for all the chemicals we have at work. Yet never think of the dangers of the "safe" stuff we can buy over the counter at the parts store etc.

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
I always take warnings very serious, almost to paranoia my wife says, when it comes to chemical solvents, cleaners. I esp. always wear eye protection after I got some carb cleaner in my eye once.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts