Daylight savings time nabs cyclists

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by rawhite1969, Nov 10, 2009.

1. rawhite1969

rawhite1969 Back in the Saddle

2. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Younger than Hack Tavern Member

At least the city has dropped the tickets and is looking to rewrite the ordinance to allow the cyclist to use the trails when it is dark to commute.

3. senecacyclist

senecacyclist New Member

You gotta be kiddin me. Are there more jerks in the world today due to overpopulation or is it just a prerequisite to be a cop or a politician?

4. Poolie

Poolie New Member

I have the same issue to deal with in Atlanta. We have a very popular 100 mile trail called the Silver Comet Trail (an old commuter rail line) which is where I do 99% of my riding. It too is closed dusk to dawn. I've inquired on one of the local bike forums to whether you would get ticketed for riding after hours. They said it just depends. Many of the cops will let you slide with a warning, or ignore you all together, but some will ticket you. I'm sure I will find the one itching to write a ticket.

5. rawhite1969

rawhite1969 Back in the Saddle

Took 2 years, but the hours on the Monon Trail (the trail in the original link) have been extended for the winter as a test. Cycling commuters will be able to use that trail, but it also means the trail is open to everyone after dark, which is most likely to spur some additional crime opportunities (most of the crime on that trail happens after dark when folks are walking home from bars near the trail). Hopefully any increase in trail crime doesn't harm the positive impact of the trail being open for commuters.

6. avmech

avmech Member

Just a technicality: DST is what just ended. We are on normal time now, DST is in the summer....................makes no sense I know