DC area commuters: road condition check-in

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by kegoguinness, Dec 20, 2009.

1. kegoguinness

kegoguinness New Member

If anyone in DC area is commuting today/tomorrow, please check in to report road conditions where you are cycling. It might help out someone else. My commute is multi-modal, and I don't think there will be full service where I need to go (up to Shady Grove Metro and Ride-on 100 bus to Germantown. Both websites indicates delays at this time. Good luck to everyone on the east coast who was hit by the storm!

2. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

The government let all non-essential employess stay home today so I won't be taking my wife to work this morning. Just from looking out the window- my parking lot is a sheet of ice and cars are slipping and sliding all over it. I'm glad that when i shoveled it out I made two big piles of snow at each corner of the parking space so sliding cars hit that snow and not my wifes car.

Yesterday my wife and I made it from our apartment in Laurel down to IKEA in College Park (20 inches of snow can't stop me from shopping for Swedish flat-packed furniture). My neighborhood and the closest secondary road (All Saints Rd) were covered in hardpacked snow (not really icy yet though) MD216 was well plowed and mostly just wet yesterday (although it would not shock me if it refroze last night). I-95 had 3 of 4 lanes cleared and they were still out plowing and salting so I expect it looks okay this morning.

We passed 9 single vehicle wrecks in the 16-18 mile round trip and that was yesterday afternoon.

Be safe out there whether you are riding or driving.

/I just typed this all out then noticed that it contains no helpful info for someone riding today. Sorry.

3. kegoguinness

kegoguinness New Member

Rode today. Roads in MoCo were okay--icy patches and some slush here and there, but I had no problems. I took it slow and easy. I have not checked out the CCT or any other trails. I can only assume they are covered in ice and snow. Anyone know?