Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's cooled off a bit, and the little rain we had put out the fires and cleared the air, so I figured it was time to get on my mountain bike again. But some time in the last few weeks, the Headshok decided it no longer wants to hold air.

The bike is too big to use as a paperweight, so I'm not sure what's in store for it now.

·
Two skinny J's
21,196 Posts
Bah, just go ride! Who needs air, it's way over rated :D

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
If I remember correctly, the Headshoks that used air were on the earlier models. I have a Delta V 700 with an air shock Headshok from the first year they made the Delta V frame. It's been a paperweight for many years now, because the Headshok doesn't work. It still held air last time I checked but it's stuck, doesn't go up and down.

I was hoping I could figure out how rebuild or hire a mechanic to do it, but it's so old now, I don't know if anyone would be familiar with the mechanism, or availability of parts.

Let me know if you manage to fix yours. That might inspire me to try to fix mine.

Back in the day, when my bike was new, some Cannondale riders replaced their Headshoks with RockShox, using spacer that effectively reduced the inner diameter of the oversized head tube to a standard size.

If you can find one of those headset adaptors, that might be another option.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went through this before in Australia, when I got a quote of AU$300 to rebuild it. Bought the reducers, new headset, and threw a spare fork on there. That's when you realize just how stiff the Headshok is compared to a regular fork.

The problem now is finding a fork that isn't flimsy, but has the same limited travel of the Headshok, so I don't mess up my geometry. Of course, I'll tear it down first, and see what made it stop ticking before I do that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts