decent brand or not?

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by hxcpride, Apr 12, 2010.

1. hxcpride

hxcpride New Member

just wondering i mentioned in another thread i have a 1990 univega roadbike. Well i picked it up at a local salvation army for 25 dollars just wondering if univegas are a good brand and make a good roadbike or not? Just wondering if i got a good deal since its in like new shape all original paint no rust etc please let me know its a activa model.

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

If it works, $25 was a bargain. It's just not something you'd want to sink too much money into.

3. hxcpride

hxcpride New Member

ya its in great shape its a 1990 looks new though but its a older style chromo frame, but i like older vintage style roadbikes better than new ones anyway, they look better

4. Doohickie

Doohickie Older than Hack

If I have my facts straight (always a question), Univega was started as one of the Japanese bike boom brands in the 60s or 70s. I believe around 1990 they were sold to West Coast Cycle which in turn was bought out by Derby Cycle. For a while in the 1990s, Derby manufactured Univegas, Nishikis and Raleighs in its Kent, Washington, plant. I have one of those Kent-built Nishikis as my primary commuter and it's a well-built bike. I'm not quite sure when they acquired the Univega brand.

5. fleeter

fleeter The Bearded Wonder

I'm with I_H on this one... if all you spent was $25, and it's a decent roller, you did a good job. But you don't want to spend a couple hundred in upgrades because at that point, if all you're looking for is a daily rider, you could get something better.

6. hxcpride

hxcpride New Member

ya i spent 25 on in complete, it had flat bars so i spent some money on some better aluminum drop ones (im a bigger fan on drops), and also bought new tires pedals and tubes and bar tape for like 45 or so bucks so pretty cheap. and it rides great and gets up pretty fast.

7. hxcpride

hxcpride New Member

and hey guys i have a question! how do i add my bike to the little section you guys have that says cycles?

8. fleeter

go to the cycle registry page, http://www.twospoke.com/forum/f133/, and then click on the category on the left

9. hxcpride

hxcpride New Member

10. fleeter

yikes! just looking at your saddle makes my tenders hurt ... is it comfy pointed up so high?

11. hxcpride

hxcpride New Member

no it moved up on its own, i moved it down the other day

12. fleeter

gotcha. :thumbsup: