deluxe insta-bike

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by bmohan55, Aug 8, 2010.

1. bmohan55

bmohan55 Senior Member

I bought this bike about 20 years ago at a church sale for $15. It came with an Apollo 13 bell ringer on it so I figure it is a least a 1970 model. My daughter used it as a child and now her son will soon be using it. As the photos show it is a folding bike with seat and stem extensions long enough to accomadate an adult. It was made in Italy and the closures are in Italian, and the hex heads and bolts are metric. The seat is leather and has the name "Dal" on the back. I've search the internet but can't find any information on it...anyone here ever see one like it? It's a very cool bike!

Attached Files:

2. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Nice buy! How does it actually lock together?

3. bmohan55

bmohan55 Senior Member

Thanks, here's a pic of the frame hinge. Just flip the lever and loosen the bolt to break the hinge. Slick.

Attached Files:

4. ElTerible

ElTerible New Member

Hey I just bought the same bike! Why cant I find any info on it!!!? What do you know? THanks :)

5. bmohan55

bmohan55 Senior Member

Haven't really found out much about it. The best info came from a fellow coworker, I work for an Italian Meat company so I e-mailed some pictures to a guy I know in Rome and here is his reply:

Yes, this is a very classic model of italian folding bike.
    The common name in Italy is "Graziella" from the first model produced by Carnielli in the 50's.
    They made those until mid-end 80's, when we were kids we used to ride those.

Normally one would drive and your buddy would be standing on the back rack.

And it was also particulary good for doing willies!

May be the tried to export some to the US.

A serch of this site Vintage Bicycle Genealogy and Archive
    turned up this tidbit which seem to verifi what my friend said:
    RE:AGE / VALUE: What do I have? posted by Steven on 2/15/2002 at 3:01:48 AM
    They were built in Italy and were indeed very popular in the 60's and 70's. They are still a dime a dozen in Italy. They usually were folding bikes with a cam locking device. It seemed to be the ideal solution for getting around in the crowded cities. They are neither great bikes or terribly collectable. Sorry.

The above is about all the information I found on the bike. I think it's an unusual bike and plan on keeping it "spinning" for my grandson! Good luck with yours and if you find any other infomation please share.
    Bob

6. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

7. bikebum1975

bikebum1975 Rat Biker

Hack says best :D

8. bmohan55

bmohan55 Senior Member

You would have to fight my daughter (it was her first bike) and her new son over it. I raised 'em right!

9. Industry_Hack

Post a photo of her. I need to see what I'm up against.

10. bmohan55

bmohan55 Senior Member

against my better judgment....

IF you get by her (the one on the right) you gotta fight her older sister, then the dogs....:)

Attached Files:

11. Industry_Hack

I see Cujo's cousin. Tell your daughter I hope her son enjoys the bike.

12. Tedzo

Tedzo Who put that curb there?

...wise man.

13. ElTerible

ElTerible New Member

Thanks Bob! I'll sure let you know if I find anymore info on it. As for now I wedged an ace of hearts in the front spokes and was show-boatin' around town this weekend in the sun. It's great for bombing hills and swangin' back and forth in a slow, wide "s" motion! And wow, your dog is huge.

Cheers!
    Pete

14. rwd57

rwd57 New Member

InstaBike made in Italy for InstaMatic Company who made camping RVs and trailers. This bike was some kind of an option for their other products and was sometimes given away to encourage a purchase. These are readily available new for under $200 and often sell used for $20-50.