Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old Schwinn Letour I am fixing up I put new shifter cables on and believe I have everything adjusted correctly. When I ride in the small sprocket in the back and put pressure on pedals the chain wants to skip or sounds like it wants to change gears. It does not do it in any of the other gears any idea.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have an old Schwinn Letour I am fixing up I put new shifter cables on and believe I have everything adjusted correctly. When I ride in the small sprocket in the back and put pressure on pedals the chain wants to skip or sounds like it wants to change gears. It does not do it in any of the other gears any idea.

If the chain and other parts are new check the chain length. If not the freewheel is probably bad. There is lots of torque on the smallest cog and if the internals of the freewheel are worn you get "skip". More than likely though the freewheel needs to be taken apart, cleaned and lubed.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Measure the chain for wear. Chain Maintenance. You might need a new chain and cogset.
I did not check that but I will, I will be surprised if its that since the bike mostly hung on the wall for 25 years. Its actually my wife's bike.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hahahahahaha! Thats the problem! Hanging on a hook for 25 years? Too funny! Take the whole bike apart down to the last ball bearing and clean, lube and reassemble. It will be fine after that. :)

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
limits right? shifters tight?
Yes limits are right and shifter is tight I also put new rims and tires on it. I think I might have found the problem the Derailleur at the pivot point is loose and wobbles a little going to pull part and inspect.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts