Desperate in Fairbanks

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by markmay, Jan 19, 2010.

1. markmay

markmay New Member

Hi All;

I have a 25 year old bike with a Sugino super maxy crank I need to find this 53 tooth big ring to keep it going. Sugino Mighty Competition chainring.

Any Help is appreciated,

Mark May

2. Engyo

Engyo Bent Newbie - old rider

There are some 51t, 52t and 54t Sugino rings on Ebay. There are also lots of 53T chainrings - the Shimano Dura Ace one looks a lot like the photo you linked from BF........

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010

3. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

You should post more details here so people don't have to go to other forums to see what you need.

4. markmay

markmay New Member

Tried that

Hey, thanks, but I tried e bay and the ring didn't fit. I'm a novice so I can't measure a chain ring, but surfing I found a picture. I joined this forum, because I figured some hard core would bail me out.

Peace,

Mark

5. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

6. markmay

markmay New Member

Thanks. I'm a veterinarian and BCD is not in my vocabulary. If I put the micrometer on, is there a custom outfit that would mill me a chain ring? I'd even mail the ring in.

Thanks,

Mark May

7. Engyo

Engyo Bent Newbie - old rider

Amazon also has several Sugino 53T chainrings listed........but I can't tell you which one would fit your bike.

8. markmay

markmay New Member

Measurement

So If I find a 53T sugino chain ring what do I measure to get BCD, or whatever the critical measurement is.

Thanks,

9. Mootsguy

Mootsguy A Red Headed Stepchild

10. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

markmay, have you gone into any bike shops and asked around? Most shops have tons of odd gears laying around. Might get it for a tetanus shot trade.

I like any man who is a veterinarian. I'm an animal lover with a clawless cat I rescued. Grew up with many dogs. Only date them now. Not enough room in my flat.

My younger brother has plans to become a vet. He's at university now and works for a Manchester horse doctor when he has time. Should he get his degree I figure to have free health care until mange takes me down for good.

11. IanHighfield

IanHighfield New Member

markmay: Just now noticed Fairbanks. As in Alaska? Do you work on huskies much? My grandfather spent time in Maine and Labrador training sled dogs with American Norman Vaughn who used dog teams to rescue downed US and RAF flyers traveling between Britain and the US during WW2. Several times he teamed with Vaughn on trips into the Canadian wild and up near Greenland. Those were better times than these. More adventurous.

12. markmay

markmay New Member

Bike stores in Fairbanks?

I have 3 options in Fairbanks, and they all want me to put the old bike on the heap and buy a new ride. Go figure. Here's a picture of the chain ring I need.
    chain ring.jpg

13. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

Follow Palin, come south young man come south until you find a good bike shop.

What do you think of Palin?

14. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

Hey Mark,

I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but you don't have to use a Seguino chainring with a Seguino crank. Pretty much any one will do as long as the BCD pattern is the same. The first thing you need to do is determine your BCD. Check out Mootsguy's link for that. Also, you do not necessarily have to match the tooth count unless that's what you really want. A 51 or 52 will work fine.

Bike stuff is pretty simple and a big chainring should not be hard to find.

-Scott

15. markmay

markmay New Member

Palin

Sarah's the real deal, but Todd Palin's the Dude. Check out Irondog racing. Now can I have my chain ring?

16. markmay

markmay New Member

Thanks Scott. I'm trying.

17. markmay

markmay New Member

I knew Norman. I sold him a lead dog for the Iditarod.

Attached Files:

18. Burr

Burr Cranking Old Guy

Watch for some kid to park his bike and steal his big ring!!!

19. camilo

camilo New Member

Fred at Raven can't help you? Very surprising. Also, have you tried Greatland Sports on College near that freeway? Last time I was there those two shops appeared to be the type that would try to find the part rather than sell you a new bike, but I don't really know.

The fairbanks cycle club has a website w/ forums and also a listserver. I'll bet someone locally can help you too.

20. markmay

markmay New Member

Where ya at

Hey Camillo;