Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you always have a destination or is it more like 'once around the circuit'?
I hope to gain miles but also want interesting rides.
So do you always have a destination?

·
Two skinny J's
21,436 Posts
Yup:D Home ! For the most part I have a ride in mind before I leave.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Other than commuting to and from work my rides typically start out with a vague idea on time to ride and that is all. I typically get to the top of my street and make a decision on which way yo go from there, making it up as I go along though always ending up back at the starting point. Even for my commuters I tend to go with the flow such that the commute rides can range from 13 to 18 miles each way. This freedom is one of the many reasons I love to cycle!

·
Registered
313 Posts
It depends on the reason for my ride, i.e. if it's a purely recreational ride no, I don't always have a destination and am more likely to be riding the "once around the circuit" as well as trying to log as many miles as possible. If on the other hand it's a transportational ride, then yes I have a destination in mind. The same with if it's a combination of a recreational & transportational ride. I'll have a destination in mind, as well as combining it with my usual circuit or a modification of my usual circuit.

It's always nice when I can combine the two types of rides.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
Some times I do but most of the time I ride down to the conner 5 miles and then there are many roads I can take and weather wind and how I feel tell me what I should do.:confused:

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Having others that depend on me makes Home my destination. The ride itself is hardly ever set in stone.;)

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the replies.
My first few rides were to the LBS on the way to the city park, round trip is 6 or 8 miles depending on the path taken. I aimed for another park last Monday which turned out to be too far. I'm really new so 10 miles is the limit right now.
I prefer having a destination because it gives me a goal. I need goals.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I agree with you on goals. When I ride, Im either going somewhere specific like work or pick up my car from the auto shop (that was today haha) or Im riding with a specific workout in mind. Like, there's a pretty wild hill 5 miles from here, I want to conquer that, or I want to ride for an hour or 10 miles. Goals can come in all shapes and sizes. Again, I applaud the enthusiasm you're attacking your renewed hobby with.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Todays destination was the Council on Aging to see if they had a cycle group. They never have anything I'm looking for but I keep asking.
I was determined to crack 10 miles and did it with 10.5 miles. Gotta get the riding in because showers are predicted for most of next week & I'm a wimp.
Can we do 11 tomorrow? Stay tuned.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Doing laps at the park is getting old. Today's destination was the city sports complex, the Rocky Marciano stadium which is preparing for a major new attraction. The World Boxing Council is donating a 22 foot statue of the undefeated champ which was unveiled in -->>> Mexico City for a few days before getting trucked up here. It's quite a big deal.
I wanted to see where it's going, the concrete pad is ready. Want to buy a brick for the path? The dedication is set for September 23rd with a weekend of boxing events.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Im with Industry-Hack on the back tracking bit. I just dont do it.

The only time I have a plan is if I am going for a ride three hours or longer. Even then my plan is just a rough idea of where I am going.

The only thing that never changes is my start stop which is my house. I never lug my bike to a ride starting point unless it is a charity ride. I even ride the 8 miles to my LBS when I ride the group rides.

·
Premium Member
1,218 Posts
I have favorite streets and routes, I like to take, I try to stay on streets with bike paths or I'll cut over out of my way to catch a "safer" route ie wide shoulder Bike path, lower speed limit. The only thing that sucks about leaving from home is everything I like to ride to is down hill from my house so no matter where you go the last 2 miles are up a pretty good hill.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't care to backtrack either. Living in the city makes it easier to vary the route.
I live near the bottom of a hill so the last mile is a breeze.

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
It's not the destination, it's the journey!
^^This!

During the week, I ride the same path at the MUP but on weekends, there is always a club ride that is different and I will go on those every chance I get. I don't mind riding the same route every day. Now that one of the creeks is flooded over the loop path, they are letting traffic go in both directions (it's normally a one way loop). Since you don't normally travel in the opposite direction, it looks like different scenery. Makes it somewhat interesting.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts