DH Rocks! (Colorado part II)

Discussion in 'Mountain Biking' started by hophead, Sep 1, 2009.

1. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

I just got back from Colorado last night. Over the weekend, I went to Winter Park with my gf to go camping and have fun with gravity. I've never done any real down hill mtn biking and I must say it was freakin' awesome!

Friday afternoon we left Denver and Drove to the Idlewild campground in the Arapaho Ntl. Forest and grabbed the last good campsite. It was 14 bucks a night and well worth it. Our site was on a paved path that takes you to downtown Winter Park one way and to Winter Park Resort the other. We set up camp and rode into town to grab a bite to eat. My gf is very familiar with Winter Park. She's been out in CO since the first week of July, so she knew right where to go for good grub.

We headed out to Deno's Mountain Bistro which was about a mile or two ride from our campsite. It seemed longer than it was cuz I didn't bring a bike this time out so I had to ride one of my gf's. Her DH bike had flat pedals on it, so I opted to ride that one--Big mistake! The seatpost was very short, so even at full extension, it was like riding a clown bike.

I started off with a Black Butte Porter and she had a Green Lake Organic Ale. Both were delicious! Seared Ahi Bruschetta & marinated roasted olives for an appetitizer and then we split Linguine Portofino. The appetizers were excellent. The Linguine was pretty good, but would have been better if they had used fresh pasta. Overall, very good grub! I highly recommend this place.

After dinner we rode back to the campsite. It was slightly uphill which kinda sucked on the clown bike with no lights. She had a single LED headlamp, so I followed her silhouette back to our campsite.

We built a fire and had a few beers when we got back and then crashed.

Saturday morning we packed up our bikes and headed to the resort. We planned to ride the xc trails to warm up and the hit the DH trails later. I rented a Kona Stinky and had them put my Eggbeaters on it. I must say, it looked pretty ridiculous. When we got off the lift one of the guys at the top asked my what happened to my pedals.:rolleyes:

So, we ride Long Trail first which is a blue, but fast as hell! At this point we are just wearing xc gear--flimsy styrofoam core helmets, shorts, and jerseys. At the bottom my gf told me that if I was going to ride that freakin' fast that we needed to put on our body armor and full face helmets which we did. BTW, I've never done this lift assisted riding. She's been doing it for years.

At this point, we're done with the xc stuff. I had the shop put the flat pedals back on and we're off to the DH trails. I took it kinda easy at first, but by the 3rd or 4th run I was doing jumps and riding the wall. We did eight or so runs in all. On my final ride, I ate it pretty hard in a turn. I came in too hard and washed out my front wheel in some loose stuff. The left side of my body and head slammed into the ground. Aside from a pretty big bruise on my left thigh, I was uninjured. The helmet and body armor worked flawlessly.

DH is the most fun I've had with my clothes on. If you all have never tried it, try it! You're gonna need a hammer and chisel to get the smile off your face!:)

2. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Nice report. Did you drive? Take any photos? I haven't done a CO trip in forever!

3. hophead

I flew out this time. I'll post up some pix later. Unfortunatly, I didn't take any of the mtn biking. I didn't want to destroy my camera.

Winter Park is sweet! It was only 80 bucks and change to rent a bike and get a lift ticket. That includes body armor and a full face helmet which I already had.

4. hophead

Oh, I forgot the bear! Apparently, Winter Park has quite an active bear population. While we were eating dinner, a big ass bear went lumbering across the street. They like to go dumpster diving in town.

5. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

I know you mentioned riding the GF's cycle but did you rent or bring your bike?

6. hophead

I rented a Kona Stinky.

7. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Sorry you had such a crappy weekend!

That's two weekends in a row that you avoided serious injury, huh?

Sounds freakin' awesome, man! I'm sure everyone that reads this will be quite jealous.

8. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

9. hophead

10. Tarukai

Tarukai SMILEY CAR

Man, that sounds amazing. I wish I could do something like that sometime soon.

Hey Dean, let's see if we can set up a fund for a meet of people from TwoSpoke in Colorado, we can do a lot of riding over a weekend :D

11. Biker

Biker New Member

That's Awesome I love Downhill!

12. COSMTBFAN

COSMTBFAN DAS BOOT!!

Glad you had a good time. Winter Park is a great destination for MTBing!! We have a ton of great riding here, and I love it!! WP is also a great place to go snowboarding!!

13. hophead

I've never been boarding out west. We usally go to Sunday River in Maine. Maybe this winter.

14. COSMTBFAN

COSMTBFAN DAS BOOT!!

I hope we have a nice snowy winter this year!! Last year was OK, but could've been better. I used to go every weekend, but a wife and kids, that doesn't fly like it used to!! I can get away for 5 or 6 trips a year these days!!

15. topgun514

topgun514 Guest

i get 60-80 days, this year im looking at 120 if i dont get injured again...Utah Skiing too

16. Echihn

Echihn FreerideLife

If you go to co again to ride check out Vail. They have a pretty good solid dh area in the summer at the main ski area. More than worth a bit of an extra drive.

17. COSMTBFAN

COSMTBFAN DAS BOOT!!

What are they charging for a "summer" day lift pass there these days??

18. Echihn

Echihn FreerideLife

think it was like 30 buks most. I'd just give em a call. I went at the end of the season last year so not sure if it was discounted, normal etc. NTM I was buzzed at the ticket line. Darn wild turkey! :D