Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Specialized Crosstrail
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been doing quite a bit of research lately on a new bike, upgrading from my Specialized Crosstrail, which no doubt has served me well the last two years. I haven't seen or heard much about Scott bikes, but this bike popped up while online. On paper, all the specs seemingly met my requirements to a tee, I like the looks of it as well. I found a bike shop that sells Scott bikes about a half hour from me, so off I went. The first bike I see right by the door as I walk in is the Scott Metrix 20, I immediately stop to check it out. These particular bikes are pretty new and this LBS just got them in.

After talking to the owner a bit, he asked me if I wanted to test ride it... I sure do! He puts some pedals on it, I hand him my drivers licence and off I go to explore the side streets of Tarzana, CA.

THE first thing I notice right away... how light this bike is... wow. I hop on and immediately feel the bike lurch forward with each pedal stroke like never before.. I mean I'm coming from a bike that weighs about 32 lbs, this bike weighs 9 full lbs less... big difference! Right across the street is a long well paved road that leads into a pretty good hill which I took. I loved how quickly I got to speed, the effortless shifting of the Deore 9 speed, (I'm coming from a Altus 7 speed) the upcoming hill was gradual and long, and it seemed it was taking half the effort as it would on my current bike. Heading back down, I finally had the higher gears that I've been missing on my Crosstrail and was probably going faster than I've ever been on a bike.

Coming up to the stop sign, I thought I'd check out the feel of the hydraulic disc brakes. I've never used them before, and frankly, I always thought disc breaks were a bit of overkill for this type of riding, expensive, more weight, ect ect. Well I may not need these brakes, but I want these brakes... I'm a believer! I used them just for the experience over and over again, when I didn't even have to, so smooth, solid, quiet, requiring less effort as normal brakes.

The 27 speed gearing covers all the bases for me, there's no gear I need that isn't there. 11-32 with 48-36-26 triple. Shifting is quick and precise. The tires are supposedly 28c, but were way thinner than the 28c tires on my Crosstrail, so I'm not sure what's up with that... they looked more like 25c tires to me. They rolled great though dispite the fact they were obviously under inflated. I bet she rolls even better with the proper psi. All in all, I really like this bike, and chances are good it will replace my Crosstrail someday.... someday soon I hope.

Here's a pic of it...

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
That gearing Is what I would like 48-36-26, I don't nead a 50-11 a 48 would do me fine and 26 would be real nice with a load. as for disc brakes I realy like the disc, why would you wear a rim out when the disc are replaceable. I know weight at 240# I take the disc any day. And with a disc you should beable to go to a wider tire I like a 32 or 35.

·
Specialized Crosstrail
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wild said:
That gearing Is what I would like 48-36-26, I don't nead a 50-11 a 48 would do me fine and 26 would be real nice with a load. as for disc brakes I realy like the disc, why would you wear a rim out when the disc are replaceable. I know weight at 240# I take the disc any day. And with a disc you should beable to go to a wider tire I like a 32 or 35.
Seems like you have the same needs as I do, yes I really can't imagine a better gearing set up for the kind of riding I do... my Crosstrail does have a lower 34 tooth rear but I only use it for the most steepest inclines, and the Scott has a 36-26 to my 38-28 up front so that probably makes up for it anyway. I almost consider my bike a 6 speed as I rarely need the lowest gear, which by the way is a HUGE jump when going into it. You can see here how big the transition is here when going to the lowest "MegaRange" gear. Looking forward to saying goodbye to this set up and hello to a nice even transition in gearing increments from 11 all the way to 32.

·
Specialized Crosstrail
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
TxCyclist said:
Sounds like you really enjoyed it.
You would be correct! The Scott is superior in every way I can think of... except maybe the seat. I think I'll switch my Specialized seat with the Scott. Another thing I've noticed. It seems no matter what bike I ride, my butt starts to scoot towards the back of the seat, especially when mashing the pedals, going up hills... I think I need a new seat post that is set back some so I can adjust the seat back more. And I mean about 2" back. I naturally want to move back so the crank is positioned more in front of me, I get more power that way as opposed to the crank more directly below my seat... I brought this up to the shop owner, and he suggested a X Large bike frame, but I'm not sure that would help. The reach from the seat to the bars are fine, it's more of the where the seat is positioned relative to the crank position.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I made a list of things I wanted on my next bike befor I baught the Jamis I did not get every thing I wanted but it was close.
Tripple
36 Gear
Disc brakes
Brifters
36 Spoke rims
Short top tube
Road bars
Brooks saddle
700x35 tires
Steel fork
Steel frame
I did not get all but some like the saddle I have changed and some I live with and found I like 700x32 tires I did not get 36 spoke rims eather but the 32s seam to be doing allright, no broken spokes in 4,500 miles, and I got a 34 not a 36 low gear, most standard chains come 116 links so if it would have had a 36 gear I would have had to buy bulk chain.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It seems that you have enjoyed this ride at all. Test rides are always becomes exciting and full of memorable.

·
Specialized Crosstrail
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unfortunately work has become more than scarce for me the last few months, I'm in the carpentry trade and its really taken a hit around here! Can't even think about getting this until things pick up. I did bring the bike up to the attention of the guys at the LBS. They asked me how much it was and were pretty surprised when I told them the cost for this bike. They were expecting at least 1K. Oh well, its still on my wish list.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts