Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently made a transaction where I traded in my 1984 Raleigh Grand Prix for a Bianchi Sport of unknown date. Bikes are both 19". But the Raleigh seemed to be in much better shape. The Bianchi person wanted $170.00 for the Bianchi and gave me $70.00 trade in value on the Raleigh, so out of pocket for me was $100.00. Did I get taken for a ride ?????:eek::eek::eek:

·
GiddyUp
337 Posts
you should go to Jim Langley's website and send him an email. He's really into vintage bikes and could probably give you an opinion. Just google his name and you will find his website. I personally would like to own the Bianchi Sport over the Raleigh but I don't know anything about pre-2001 bicycles.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much....will do. I was also told by the fella at the bike store that the person that I traded with is a flipper.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Trade

Anytime someone trades, on both sides of the transacton, they do so because they believe they are "stepping up" or getting the better deal. There are 3 possible outcomes: the Bianchi guy "wins", you "win", or its a tie. Maybe you didn't win this time, but $100 bucks is a cheap lesson to make you a better, more knowledgeable trader next time.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I wouldn't look at this like a car. Bike values are so subjective. I'd look at this like this regardless of what you learn later of the value. You got the bike you wanted. You thought it was a fair deal at the time. The Bianchi is definitely not the same thing as a Walmart Next, so you should enjoy it. The main thing is to just go have fun with it now.

Just for curiosity did you find a serial number on the bike somewhere?? There must be some numbers on the frame somewhere. Those can help you date it. They often are around the bottom bracket. Sometimes model numbers can help, but check the entire frame and odds are with those numbers someone will have an idea of how old.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
Do you like the bike, that is all that matters. If you like it its a good deal . You could have spent a 1,000 or more on a used bike and not like it. So if you like the bike its a grate deal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts