Did you ride today?

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by John_V, Sep 1, 2012.

1. John_V

John_V Moderator Staff Member Mod Team Tavern Member

The wife had to go back to the cardiologist this morning for an echo cardiogram. So she asked for the van. Got everything out of the van and loaded it in the truck and went off to meet Frankie. Started to unload the bike and ..... Wait! where's my front wheel? In the van of course. Good thing I'm only 3 miles from the park. Old age really sucks! Try not to get there. :(

My Bolt is in for warranty replacement so I'm using an old wireless Sigma that my wife used years ago. It doesn't have heart rate, which is what is most important to me and I'm now without my radar. You really learn to appreciate little things when you no longer have them. Good thing I was riding with Frankie because without knowing my HR it would have been just as slow a 43 mile solo ride.

maelochs, newleaf150 and Merlincustom like this.
  2. newleaf150

newleaf150 Deranged Touring Cyclist Tavern Member

26mi with canine companion Chip, again on the Montague X. We found our way to more singletrack and played explorer for a bit. Found a couple of spots where I had to dismount the trailer and relay it and the bike past an obstacle.

The trail ended up quite overgrown, to the point that I had to duck low to clear overhanging branches. Chip's trailer performed like the cross country model it is, collecting a nice set of 'country pin stripes' along the way.

He would end up logging 4.5mi of running while sitting pretty and collecting admirers through the rest of the ride.

Merlincustom, maelochs and John_V like this.
  3. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

15 somewhat painful miles on the trainer tonight was all I could muster. I managed to break my little toe on my right foot and trying to clip, unclip and pedal is...not fun at the moment. Not excruciating but not comfortable at all.

My little toe is 15 different shades of purple and red :D

4. MilesR

MilesR Mom's Taxi Tavern Member

OUCH!

John_V likes this.
  5. Dos_Ruedas

Dos_Ruedas Well-Known Member

LBS home delivered my bike today. Thank goodness!!!!
    My first real ride in far too many weeks and I could feel it!!

Great to be back though.

newleaf150, flan48, i12ride and 3 others like this.
  6. maelochs

maelochs Old, fat, and slow

“Within each set you’ll trade intensity for duration and only find relatively short recoveries all in order to help you spend a lot of time at a high aerobic uptake ….. “

It all sounds so benign that way.

Accurate translation: “We will make you want to vomit, we will make you gasp for breath as though you were dying, we will make you want to die. Enjoy!!”

I understand the logic … and I doubt I could do the first five minutes ….

Congratulations to those who choose to and do, I guess.

newleaf150, Dos_Ruedas and John_V like this.
  7. maelochs

maelochs Old, fat, and slow

Not sure i want to debate with a master trainer rider like yourself ... but I am pretty sure you are doing it wrong. You are supposed to hurt your knees on a trainer, not your toes. :D

Among the leading signs a person is addicted---"No, doc, forget it ... the cast wouldn't fit in my my cycling shoes. Unless you can make a cast with a cleat ... I can hobble to the bike. Thanks, though."

8. Merlincustom

Merlincustom Senior Member

You make it sound more epic than it is. 2, 2.5, and 3 minutes at those percentages of FTP don’t get you to max respiration, as they are not your max power at those times since they need to be repeatable. Still, they’re not a day at the beach, either.

John_V likes this.
  9. Merlincustom

A bit too much Zinfandel last night made this a touch unpleasant.

ED59AAE4-1793-42F3-8AD4-9AB6F0308BBD.png D5F97478-A33C-495B-81AD-8BAB7D38E638.png

John_V, maelochs and rola643 like this.
  10. John_V

John_V Moderator Staff Member Mod Team Tavern Member

Got to the park at 0755 this morning and not one parking spot to be had. Went to the overflow lot and just barely found a spot. Rode with Frank and when we got to the west end parking lot, it too was completely full. Overheard someone say that the parking lot at Chili’s (next to the park) was also full. At the end of my 40 mile ride, the parking lot, where I was parked, was still full and cars were still coming in. Looks like the lockdown got a lot of people off their duff and out exercising.

11. Dos_Ruedas

I was going to ride this morning, before the expected high of 92, but the fog was so thick I could slice it with a blade.
    Maybe before noon.

newleaf150 and John_V like this.
  12. rola643

Had my daughter and granddaughter here this long weekend so, by choice, I had limited ride time. Family first :) First outside ride with the broken pinky toe. Not bad at all to be very honest.
    IMG_1184.jpg

newleaf150, flan48, John_V and 4 others like this.
  13. Dos_Ruedas

@rola643 One can never go wrong choosing family.

After the morning fogout, I took a long lunch to prove to myself just hope out of a shape I’ve become, despite riding several hundred miles on the trainer.
    4 months off the outdoor roadie has taken its toll.
    I don’t know if I’ve ever felt weaker on this loop I’ve ridden many times.

Still, even with that, it was wonderful being outside on a bike. My oldest challenged me to ride 40 days straight. I accepted the challenge then realized we have a couple getaways planned, if the CV19 continues to drop nationwide.

newleaf150, maelochs, John_V and 2 others like this.
  14. rola643

Imagine if you'd not ridden the trainer. I remember those early spring rides getting smoked by everyone wondering WTF, how had they managed to maintain all that fitness over the winter months. I avoided a trainer like the black plague years ago, obviously a huge mistake.

Modified challenge, 40 days while home :D Easy enough. Git'r done!
    get-er-done-300x300.jpg

15. Merlincustom

16. Dos_Ruedas

So far, I’ve had an entire day off. Not a single call.
    Well, with the exception of the memory lapse which caused me to go to the office for 15 minutes of work.....which I had done the day before and forgotten about.

It’s been a great day!!

I bottled 42 bottles of beer.
    Transferred another 5 gallons to secondary fermentation and prepped for another five gallon brew tomorrow.
    After cleaning up, I grabbed the bike for a relatively easy out and back.
    I was surprised by the traffic. This was a midday ride and I was probably passed (going around me) 10-12 times. That’s easily 200-300% more than the norm.

On the return, the heat just about did me in!!! Somewhere in the 90’s today.
    When I got home, my oldest wanted to do the cool down spin with me.
    Just tooling around a few miles with him was the icing on the cake.

Pics on relive thread (I hope).
    35 miles.

newleaf150, maelochs, John_V and 2 others like this.
  17. Merlincustom